What Disney's Moana Means for Future Disney Princesses

170
Play Buzz

If you haven't seen Disney's "Moana" yet, head over to the theaters because it is such a great film for all. With Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson playing along with the main character, Moana, and songs from Lin Manuel-Miranda, you can only imagine how awesome it is.

For those that have seen the film, there's a key factor to Moana that you may not have picked up on or appreciated enough. Yes, Moana is Disney's first Polynesian princess, but it is her body shape that is something to rejoice about as well.

Disney's princesses have been known for their extremely slim figures that are extremely unrealistic. With Moana, Disney has finally changed how this princess appears on the big screen.

At first glance, you may not notice how Moana looks, but compare her to other princesses and you'll be shocked.

Compare not only the waists of Moana and Ariel above, but also their arms. Finally, Disney has created a princess with a realistic body shape.

The directors of the film were set on giving Moana a more realistic body shape.

"We wanted her to be an action hero," director John Musker said. "Even the visual development drawings we had done and stuff, based on drawings of people in the South Pacific... it just seemed right for this character to have her look like she could physically hold her own for what kind of stunts we wanted her to do."

With Moana finally being a Disney princess of more realistic body shape, this could mean we will see more realistic body shapes in the future line-up of princesses.

We could even possibly have a plus sized princess. *SWOON*

With a more realistic body type coming to Disney, it brings hope that audiences will be able to look up to realistic looking princesses. No longer will women be depicted as unattainably thin in these Disney princess films.

Now, we just have to wait and see what Disney's next princess will be.