23 Disney Movies From 1994 To 2017, Ranked

This is a list of Disney animated features from 1994 to the present ranked from least favorite to most favorite.

212
YouTube

Here is the second half of the animated Disney features ranked from least favorite to most favorite. I will say getting down towards the end was difficult and they come close during the Disney Renaissance era.

1.Treasure Planet

I felt this was a poor retelling of Treasure of Island. It was very loosely based on the tale of Treasure Island with a futuristic twist and science fiction feel. I much preferred Muppet Treasure Island.

2. Chicken Little

I never cared for the tale of Chicken Little. “The sky is falling” is a poor concept for a movie. The only interesting twist was the aliens coming to Earth.

3. Home on the Range

This movie boring from start to finish in my opinion. I felt it was too much Disney’s classical animation team trying to compete with Disney/Pixar films and was too much like watching Toy Story with farm animals.

4. Atlantis

Wow, this one was interesting graphically for Disney and the search for Atlantis was cool. I feel like it fell short with love interest between Milo and Kida. That’s where I lost interest in the adventure.

5. A Christmas Carol

I love the tale of A Christmas Carol, but really couldn’t stand this version of the tale. It was very loose retelling with poor animation. And I was not impressed with the voice talents as Jim Carey as Scrooge.

6. Return to Neverland

This was interesting sequel for Peter Pan when Pan mistakes Wendy’s daughter, Jane for Wendy. This return to the fantasy realm of Neverland was an interesting tale. Especially Jane’s insistence to return home and that she is not Wendy.

7. Tangled

I always loved the tale of Rapunzel I did not care for Tangled though. Who needs a chameleon as a companion? Who needs a song to make your hair magical and offers infinite youth? This tale just got weird with Mother Gothel. Where’s the prince? Instead she’s rescued basically by an outlaw. I have problems with this tale.

8. Bolt

A dog who is the star of a popular television show, thinks he really is a hero with super powers. After being separated from the studio he must face reality that he does not have super powers and the tv show is really fake.

9. Brother Bear

I kind of liked this tale of transformation to learn who you really are inside. And who can resist little Koda. Almost like having an annoying little sibling that you never asked for, but it’s kind of cute as well.

10. Wreck It Ralph

This movie was somewhat interesting. Wreck It Ralph is like the ‘villain’ in a video game. And he meets with other ‘villains’ from other video games and decides he doesn’t want to be a ‘villain’ anymore. His adventure is one of discovery and that he is actually needed in his own video game to make the game complete.

11. Meet the Robinsons

This one was close to the top 10. The only thing keeping out of the top ten Disney films was the fact that the story line was a tad confusing. It redeemed itself in the end when things were better explained. The young Robinson ends up traveling forward in time and sees his future, but he doesn’t realize his success until later. It was a decent story it just needed a little clarification.

12. Tarzan

Entering the top 10. I remember when this film first came out I wasn’t super wild about it. I guess I wasn’t that interested in a story of gorillas. What I did like about it was the music of Phil Collins. I experienced renewed interest in the film after the film became a Broadway show. Disney is making it’s name on Broadway as well. It’s pitfall was being on the Broadway strip at the same time as Mary Poppins and a few other bigger hits. Nevertheless, it’s a decent movie if for no other reason than the great music including ‘You’ll Be in My Heart’ and ‘Son of Man’.

13. The Emperor’s New Groove

A new twist on the old parable of The Emperor’s New Clothes, this film is hilarious. I mean the emperor is turned into a llama. On top of that you have voice talents of David Spade and John Goodman. The film can’t get any better, right? Follow Cuzko on an adventure to learn some consideration for others and generosity.

14. Lilo and Stitch

An alien and a little girl with anger management problems and some other home problems. Interesting concept right? But what about when the alien is considered a dog and chased by an intergalactic council and an evil genius professor as an illegal experiment. Join Lilo and Stitch on a lesson on Ohana which means family and family never gets left behind.

15. Moana

Return to Hawaii with Moana. A young girl who must save her island by returning a stone heart to an island goddess. She’s going to need the help of a demigod, Maui. I love this movie for its touch on Hawaiian mythology and the song ‘How Far I’ll Go’.

16. Frozen

Ok, admit it: you’re still singing Let It Go. I love this song to this to this day. The other thing I love is the twist on true love breaking a curse. I won’t spoil it for anyone who has not watched it, but I love the twist. And we’re getting close to winter weather, so I’ll leave this movie with a question, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?

17. Zootopia

I had to love this movie about prejudice. Animals have come a long way from their primal instincts and now have the ability to be anything they want in Zootopia, or so it might seem. But even in Zootopia, prejudice reigns and animals are still expected to follow a certain way of life. Let Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde put an end to that way of thinking with their partnership to uncover a horrible plot in Zootopia.

18. A Goofy Movie

A father/son vacation to revisit childhood memories before Max is too old to enjoy father/son time with Goofy. Join them as Goofy turns some responsibility over to Max and they end of a wild adventure with twists neither of them expected.

19. Pocahontas

Entering into the Disney Renaissance era now. Pocahontas was always a childhood favorite. I can even remember seeing this film in theaters. I realize now as I’ve gotten older that Disney got it wrong, but as a child the animation was awesome and the story was enjoyable with a talking willow tree as guidance.

20. Hercules

Another mythological film, Hercules is a great film as well. Again, Disney got the tale wrong and I know that as an adult, but I still enjoy the film of a hero trying to find his worth. And of course, I have to love Meg and her attitude about men and love.

21. Mulan

The reason this film falls in the top 5 Disney films is because of the tale of a girl, trying to find her worth in a society that frowns upon women. She joins the army and saves China. How cool is that? On top of that it escapes the typical damsel in distress with a true heroine. Belle is the only other character I would place in this category.

22. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

The main reason I love this film is the music. This is yet another Broadway musical. While the musical follows closer to the novel, I still love the film’s telling. Haunting and yet with a typical Disney happy ending, join Quasimodo on a quest to fit in.

23. The Princess and the Frog

Finally, the top of the list for modern Disney films is The Princess and the Frog. Tiana is the second female character in Disney animation that I relate to because of her high work ethic. And by work ethic, I mean workaholic to attain a dream. She has a goal and sings of being ‘Almost There’. That’s how I feel about school and attaining my ultimate dream. Hard work and determination are my goals, but I could a lesson on some fun like Tiana as well.