How To Make Disney's Churro Recipe At Home

Your Summer Disney Plans May Be Canceled, But You Can Make Their Magical Churros Right At Home

Prince and talking mice not included.

7909

Everyone remembers the first time they went to one of the Disney parks. Spinning in teacups and having Goofy wrap his arms around my 8-year-old self were some of my fondest childhood memories, and I'm surely not alone in that.

Personally, my family and I never really ate at the parks — the extravagant prices were enough to scare us into smuggling sandwiches and granola bars in. As I grew older, the concessions either got way cooler (butterbeer, anyone?) or I just never cared enough to notice them as a kid.

I haven't planned a Disney trip any time soon, but when the return trip does happen, you can be sure their branded and themed food items will top my to-do list. One of the most popular foods gracing my Instagram feed for years now has been glittering, multicolored churros.

I'm not planning a trip to Paris, LA, or Orlando any time soon, but luckily many of the Disney parks' recipes are on their own blog — including this decadent churro one. So, for now, I've settled for frying up this (surprisingly) easy-to-make batter, rolling the flaky dough in sugar, and biting into the Mexican-inspired pastry as I watch "Coco" for the third time this summer.

Ingredients:

- 1 cup water

- 8 tablespoons butter

- 1/4 teaspoon salt

- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)

- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

- 3 eggs

- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or canola oil

- 1/2 cup sugar

- 1/2 cup edible glitter (not in the original recipe, and optional!)

- A piping bag (or DIY one with a ziplock bag)

- Slotted spoon/spatula

Instructions:

1. Mix water, butt, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat.

2. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low.

3. Stir in flower, slowly. Once it's all in the saucepan, stir rapidly to form a ball.

4. Remove the mixture from heat and set it aside.

5. Carefully heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat (I burned my wrist and highly recommend long sleeves, or even gloves. if you're accident-prone like I am).

6. Place dough into a piping or Ziploc bag (if using the latter, seal the bag and cut off an inch from one corner.

7. Squeeze out strips of dough into hot oil. You can probably do about 4 to 5 at a time depending on the size of your saucepan allowing for room to fry without them touching each other.

8. When they turn golden brown, lift each one out with a slotted spoon or spatula and place them on a paper towel to drain excess oil.

9. Mix sugar, 1/2 a teaspoon of cinnamon, and (optional) edible glitter into a bowl large enough to allow your hands to dip into them.

10. While they're still warm enough to absorb the sugar coating, but not too hot to burn you, coat the churros in the sugar mixture.

11. Place on a serving plate and feel free to add a side of Nutella to dip a bite (or five, or 10) in.

Note: As an Amazon Associate, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.