'The Disaster Artist' Is Anything BUT A Disaster

It may be James Franco's best part yet.

62
A24

James Franco has starred in some weird films over the years. Do “Sausage Party” or “The Interview” ring any bells?

Arguably his wackiest role so far was as gangster Alien in “Spring Breakers.” Franco’s newest role as Tommy Wiseau in “The Disaster Artist” blows Alien’s creepiest away.

“The Disaster Artist” is based on the book of the same name by Greg Sestero. Both adaptations tell Greg’s story of the making of the 2003 film “The Room,” which is known as the “best  worst movie ever made.”

In Franco’s 2017 adaptation, Greg Sestero is played by his younger brother Dave. Wiseau directed, produced, wrote and starred in the film.

He made a six million dollar budget for his only masterpiece and intended it to be a drama. The melodramatic acting, over-the-top sex scenes and surface level storyline unintentionally turned it into a comedy.

No, that wasn’t a typo. He actually spent six million dollars on this movie.

Apparently, Wiseau’s bank account is a bottomless pit, but no one knows where it comes from.

On its opening night, only 200 people showed. Today, “The Disaster Artist” has a serious cult following.

All around the world, the film has midnight showings. It even has tours. Some are even attended by Wiseau himself who proudly signs fans’ Wiseau memorabilia.

James Franco perfectly captures Wiseau’s mysteriousness and ominous Transylvanian-like accent. He dons long black locks and Wiseau’s signature pout.

He even gets Wiseau's almost villainous laugh right.

Not much is known of Wiseau besides his fascination with Greg. Despite his thick European accent, Tommy claimed for years he's from New Orleans.

His age is also a mystery. He claims he is Greg’s age. In the movie, Dave Franco depicts Greg from 1998 to 2003, which is when he was 19 to 24-years-old.

Considering the movie is 15-years-old, it’s very hard to believe Tommy’s rough exterior in the film was a man in his twenties.

It has been said that Wiseau was born in October 1955, which makes him 62.

Tommy befriended Greg after attending an acting class together and the two later moved to Los Angeles together because it was Greg’s dream.

Tommy has an affection for Greg that Greg doesn't necessarily show back.

He creepily refers to Greg as “Babyface” and offers to sleep in the same bed. Once Greg starts dating a bartender, played by Alison Brie, Tommy becomes jealous. Tommy and Greg’s friendship ultimately leads the relationship to fizzle.

Weird and outrageous is what Tommy Wiseau and James Franco do best and that’s what makes this movie work so well.

The acting in the film within a film is bad on purpose and the storylines outside are hilariously awkward.If you see some of “The Room’s” best scenes, you’ll know what I mean.

James Franco wouldn’t make a movie without his famous friends. The film also stars Seth Rogen, Ari Graynor, Jacki Weaver, Josh Hutcherson and Zac Efron.

No matter how raunchy or creepy James Franco can be, he puts enough comedy, bad acting and heart to watch this movie over and over. Tommy Wiseau is his perfect part yet.