How Many Pets Is Too Many For One Household?
Pets

Adding Another Animal To Your Family May Be More Stressful Than Rewarding

If you're thinking of taking care of a lot of animals, be prepared for the work.

18
Two puppies sitting on newspapers and magazines

I've always had aspirations about adopting a lot of pets when I get older, being inspired by my aunt and family, who currently owns four dogs and four cats. I thought it would be quite fulfilling to keep so many animals safe and loved. Recently, after a longer vacation staying with her and the animals, I've noticed how difficult it really is to take care of so many pets. There's a lot of work put into keeping your pets happy but contained and yourself sane. Here are a few reasons why it can be so challenging.

1. They thrive off other animals' emotions

If one dog starts barking at the door, the others will immediately follow. Before you feed cats, they will all gang up on you and meow until you give them want they want. Pack mentality makes them overwhelming in their responses.

2. Your pets will probably fight

Until they've really settled in with each other, and even when they have, pets are still animals with the instinct to defend themselves. You may have to deal with growling and clawing between some animals, even between cats and dogs when the animals are feeling particularly aggressive.

3. Bathroom breaks in the house will happen

When you have so many animals to account for, it's not easy to recognize when one needs to go to the bathroom outside, especially if you have a schedule for when they should go to the bathroom. So you may have to deal with pee and poop in your homes from dogs. And if you have so many cats, cleaning out the litter box is gonna be a habitual chore.

4. You have to clean a lot

If you have animals going in and out all day, they'll probably be tracking in a lot of dirt and leaves with each trip. Cats seem to track litter throughout the house and some dogs enjoy rolling around in the muddiest places available. So not only are you cleaning your house but you have to regularly clean your pets.

5. There is no alone time

If you were the one to bring an animal into your house, they will be quite bound to you and your movements throughout the house. My aunt brought in all the dogs to the house and they all sleep in her room and some just stare at her when they are inside. My cousin brought in almost all the cats so they mostly just listen to her. It's hard to find alone time in an animal house.

Animals can be a hassle but if you're up for the challenge, they provide great companionship and love that's worth all the effort of caring for them. Don't burden yourself with so many pets if you know you'll be overwhelmed. Caring for even one can be a fulfilling endeavor. I know I could only handle one or two animals on my own while my aunt has the tenacity it takes to command a house of pets.