Detroit Lions: Anger Or Apathy

Detroit Lions: Anger Or Apathy

Has your anger turned to apathy when it comes to the Detroit Lions?

22
Detroit Lions: Anger Or Apathy

It's been almost a year since I wrote about the Detroit Lions. I wrote about four weeks into the season last year about how deplorable the Lions had gotten by going 0-4. I then went on to ask what the source of all our problems were? Millan? Barry? The Fords? The coaches? The recent retirement of Calvin? The inability to keep Stafford upright? Whatever it is, it just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

If there's anything that I love, it's Detroit sports, and the University of Michigan. Yes, I am a huge homer. And why shouldn't I be? I was born this way, and I will raise my kids to be the same.

Over the last week, I was listening to 97.1 FM WXYT, a sports talk radio station out of Detroit. They brought up the question after last week's loss to the lowly Chicago Bears: Has your anger turned into apathy when it comes to the Detroit Lions?

While I can honestly say that I expect the same result every Sunday, I always have that sliver of hope that it will finally all come together and they will beat the teams they shouldn't while beating the teams they should.

To go along with this, as a 23 year-old sports fan, I've had plenty to be excited about. The Red Wings and their 25 year playoff streak that brought us four Stanley Cups, the Pistons and their 2004 NBA Championship, and the Tigers with their magic in 2006 and 2012. But I have never been able to enjoy my Sundays from September to December (maybe January).

I just want to be able to enjoy my Sunday afternoons without questioning how the Lions found yet another way to blow a game in the fourth quarter. We as a fan base deserve something to be excited about.

So to answer the question, I'm angry. You would think that the Lions would have found a way to win and win consistently by now. But year after year, the Lions figure out how to tank yet another season. Not to mention the fact that as soon the fan base starts to turn its back, the Lions always come back with a huge win to draw us back in, only to let us down a few games later. Just like yesterday.

So now I ask you, the loyal fans that you are: Has your anger turned to apathy when it comes to the Detroit Lions?