Why is depression draining? Why is depression exhausting?
Health Wellness

Depression And Toxic People Are No Joke

If you're surrounded by toxic people and you have depression, you might just have a downward spiral in your future.

926
Man standing on the edge of a cliff
https://unsplash.com/photos/ZriVXRZbFqk

Every now and then you might come across posts saying something like, "eliminating toxic people is good for your mental health," or something along those lines.

If you're dealing with a toxic person in your life, you may not directly know about it unless someone tells you and even then you don't believe that they are toxic.

Toxic people can cause you to be mentally drained of any energy even after only being near them for a short period of time.

I have even felt a mental energy drain just thinking about the toxic people in my life.

Mental energy loss feels a lot like physical energy loss with the only difference being that if your brain is mentally drained, you'll likely find it hard to stay awake or even have the motivation to do anything. With physical energy loss, your body will hurt or be sore from a lot of activity, but your brain will most likely still be awake and ready for a new challenge.

I have family members that I don't consistently speak with due to the fact we aren't close or because they are toxic and I choose not to speak with them.

That might seem like I'm a horrible person for pretty much refusing to speak with a family member, but I'm focused on maintaining my mental health and dealing with toxic people drains me of my mental energy.

I have to maintain my mental health when there are so many things that can drain it in this world. Sometimes I'll get depressed for no reason or something happens while I'm at work and I get super depressed that night.

That's another thing; depression is no joke. Once I'm depressed to the point of not wanting to do anything other than sleep or some mind-numbing activity like binge-watching Netflix, there's pretty much nothing that can stop me. Even if I'm behind in my homework and I have like one day to submit it all, I won't do it. Maybe I'll get the motivation to start it and will convince myself to finish it, but it won't last because I'll glance at the mountain of homework due the following day and will lose all momentum I previously had.

If I get guilt-tripped into going over to see certain people, I start feeling bad that I can't maintain a social life with my work life and my homework. All of which sends me into a depression. It sucks, and it is ultimately why I'm beginning to write all toxic people from my life. I will only spend quality time with people that aren't going to drive me clinically insane or send me into an eventual depression or send me home crying my eyes out ( yes, that has happened to me). Some may say I can't afford to cut people out of my life, but if you had to physically hurt yourself in order to keep in contact with that person and make that person happy, would you still talk to them and have a relationship with them?