fashion at the state of the union

Democratic Women Wear White To The State of the Union Address

Fashion and politics meet when fashion is used to make a statement or take a stand against something, much like it was used Tuesday night.

2

President Trump gave his State of the Union address on Tuesday night. Instead of paying attention to President Trump's address, I was fascinated by the sea of white outfits worn by Democratic women. You might have been thinking why wear white, and what kind of statement are these women trying to make?

As of right now, there is more women in Congress than we've ever seen before, something we should be very excited for. With the future looking bright for women, we can look back on there history of how we got to where we are now. Remember learning about Women's suffrage in history class, and how we used to not have the right to vote? We've come a very long way in getting women's rights at the voting polls, and in Congress. This year, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. Rashida Tlaib was the first Muslim woman ever elected to Congress. Ayanna Pressley was the first African American woman elected to Congress in Massachusetts. There are so many other women who made groundbreaking steps towards having more equal rights and paving the way for women all over the country.

With so many of these women attending the address Tuesday night, I felt it was very powerful that they all joined together in wearing white. It was not only a symbol of solidarity, but a symbol of how women have come so far throughout our nation's history in order to get the rights and fair treatment we know we deserve. Fashion becomes important in politics because it is able to make a statement, prove a point, or grab someone's attention, all of which the Democrat women did.

My favorite look was Ocasio-Cortez. She wore a crisp white pantsuit with a matching blazer, golden hoops, and had a bold red lip. Not only did she look classy, but her outfit for me and other women was inspiring because of how powerful she looked. Ocasio-Cortez also wore three pins that each had a different message. One had the quote "Well behaved women seldom make history" (one of my favorites), one pin for a child who died at the border, and another for the Working Families Party. Her pins and outfit combined took social media by storm, and so many praised her for looking classy and poised, while also making an important political statement.