10 Deleted Songs From Classic Disney Films Every Fan Needs To Hear

It's time to update your playlist.

657
Wallpapers13

To watch a film is to marvel at the painstaking detail a team of creators sacrificed so much to achieve. With a story world created to entrap audiences in full immersion, the efforts to push a story along through creative decisions seem to only be recognized halfway. The praise surrounding ideas included in the finished product is significantly greater than the praise surrounding the removal or replacing of certain aspects that may jeopardize the story's intended goal. It's an unfortunate reality, but a reality that is part of the Hollywood equation.

Even the dominating force in the creation of immersive story worlds--the Walt Disney Company--occasionally struggles with deleting and trimming various aspects of their stories to fully realize the potential of the project. And with Walt Disney Pictures constructed on the basis of musicals, the thousands of hours of music left on the cutting room floor over the past century is enough to peruse through.

The following list is dedicated to the top ten best songs originally cut from Disney animated films. In order for a song to be ranked, it's relevance to the spirit of the film, ease of plot progression, and overall enjoyability must rank highly. The higher a song is on the list, the stronger a case can be made to defend it as a legitimate scene/song for the finished film.

10. "Don't Buy A Parrot From A Sailor" cut from "101 Dalmatians."

Upon first impression, it is abundantly clear that "101 Dalmatians" is a film helmed by extremely funny people. Ranging from sardonic cynicism, slapstick violence, cutesy innocence and graphic shock value, "101 Dalmatians" frequently explores different realms of comedy to tell the story of Dalmatian parents Pongo and Perdita and their rambunctious offspring forced to escape the clutches of the murderous Cruella De Vil. But in the abundance of random comedy rabbit holes "101 Dalmatians" sneaks down to, the deleted song "Don't Buy A Parrot From A Sailor" is a clear example of comedian writers having a jolly good time tinkering with the art of comedy.

Originally planned as a drunken cockney chant duet sung between De Vil's henchmen Horace and Jasper, "Don't Buy A Parrot From A Sailor" is a celebration of humor and merriment. Comprised of brief stories resulting in elaborate jokes, "Don't Buy A Parrot From A Sailor" is nothing more than a hugely entertaining song written by hugely entertaining people. While no official comment exists as to why the song was deleted, "Don't Buy A Parrot From A Sailor" is a clever, catchy, odd little gem guaranteed to liven up anybody deprived of its simple fun.

9. "Three Cheers For Anything" cut from "Pinocchio."

The studio's second animated feature, "Pinocchio" has proven its worth as a cultural milestone. With historic characters, timeless messages, gorgeous animation and even the company's unofficial anthem in "When You Wish Upon A Star," the prestigious reputation preceding "Pinocchio" is well deserved. In fact, this film is so indescribably magnificent, it's difficult to imagine an incarnation of "Pinocchio" with anything even slightly different than the pitch-perfect masterpiece released back in 1940... with one small exception.

A deleted song titled "Three Cheers For Anything" would have arrived just as Pinocchio, Lampwick and an ensemble of boys are being driven by coach to the famed Pleasure Island. As excitement for their destination builds, Lampwick would have led Pinocchio and the other boys in a rollicking, upbeat tune celebrating bad behavior and discussing what they plan on doing when they arrive.

"Three Cheers For Anything" is a toe-tappingly catchy song with the explicit intention of instilling a false sense of security for Pinocchio. Accidentally ignoring Jiminy Cricket's orders once again, Pinocchio finds himself in the presence of morally misguided children, desperate for lawless, anarchic fun. But through this seduction of chaotic pleasure, the obvious signs of danger fall through the cracks, adding a heightened sense of suspense and dread with each passing lyric.

Without context, "Three Cheers For Anything" is the kind of song that resides right next to the heart, constantly churning out that lust for a good time. With context, the sinister aura transforms this situation into one of the many riveting adventures "Pinocchio'" takes it's audiences on. The song was deleted because producers felt it was interrupting the flow of the pace, but regardless of whether or not it was the right call, "Three Cheers For Anything" is a song worth cheering for.

8. "Keep 'Em Guessing" cut from "Mulan."

Disney sidekick characters tend to embody a few simple characteristics--cute, funny or larger than life. The list of characters dedicated to all three of these characteristics is small and reserved solely for some of the company's most memorable works. Disney in the 90's, however, was responsible for some truly iconic sidekick characters and Mushu from "Mulan" is no exception. Perhaps his deleted song "Keep 'Em Guessing" might have added to his memorability.

Jazzy, eccentric and absolutely filled with energy, Mushu's "Keep 'Em Guessing" was intended to be the character's introduction to the story. With the creators sensing Eddie Murphy's terrific energy in voicing Mushu, the decision to write a song geared toward his talents became obvious. When "Keep 'Em Guessing" was ready to be added, however, it was apparent the song slowed the pace of a film that already needed to be condensed. When the creators realized Eddie Murphy could use dialogue to elicit the same point a musical number could, the decision to cut the song was implemented.

It's a shame, really as "Keep 'Em Guessing" truly is a blast to listen to and would have worked famously as Mushu's introduction. "Keep 'Em Guessing" could have been remembered as one of the great sidekick songs, but one great song at the expense of a film's flow was a sacrifice the studio was okay with making. Fortunately, the song still survives online today for anybody in dire need of a shot of dramatic flair.

7. "She Never Felt Alone" cut from "The Aristocats."

There are roughly twenty or so animated Disney classics the public seems to have fond memories over, but rarely ever chooses to revisit. Sandwiched somewhere in between "The Rescuers" and "Oliver & Company" lies "The Aristocats," a perfectly charming adventure with tons of likable characters to spare. In one deleted song "She Never Felt Alone," however, "The Aristocats" falls dangerously close into emotionally wrenching territory.

Used twice in the original plan for the film, "She Never Felt Alone" takes advantage of its sentimental lyrics by using the same song to evoke different tones. "She Never Felt Alone" was to be originally featured in the film's beginning by Madame Adelaide Bonfamille in a sweet sequence where she would sing of her undying love for her cats Duchess, Marie, Toulouse and Berlioz. Later on in the film after the cats have been taken from their home, the song was to be reprised by Duchess in an effort to explain to stray-cat Thomas O'Malley the devastation Bonfamille must be enduring without them by her side.

The reprise--as posted above--was to be sung over a painful montage set to Bonfamille reminiscing of her missing pets. The desperate feeling of loneliness hijacks the film, forcing audiences to persevere through the image of Bonfamille gloomily staring out the window of her empty, dimly lit mansion. With Madame Bonfamille portrayed as such a gentle, tragic character, "She Never Felt Alone" is a borderline unwatchable sequence, resulting in why it was cut from the finished film.

"She Never Felt Alone" is a fantastic example of just how important tone ultimately is in telling a story. Originally used as a charming sequence for a few chuckles and "awwws," "The Aristocats" ups the ante, aiming right for the jugular in a sequence that was deemed too upsetting to be used. It might have been too intense for younger audiences then, but knowing this song exists is guaranteed to make anyone aware smile even wider when the cats return home.

6. "I'm Odd"cut from "Alice In Wonderland."

In Disney's classic iconography, "Alice In Wonderland" rises above many other films in the catalog by including so many memorable and iconic characters. White Rabbit, Queen of Hearts, The Mad Hatter, Caterpillar etc... Nearly every set piece found in Alice's journey features at least one unforgettable character to further perpetuate the occasionally frightening, often silly, and always strange world of Wonderland. And no character embodies that disorienting confusion quite like the Cheshire Cat.

With an untrustworthy smile and a general aura of playful deceit, the Cheshire Cat is a scene-stealing oddity that encapsulates the madness Lewis Caroll's story is revered for. However, his original planned introduction in the film dramatically differs from how he is introduced in the final cut. The Cheshire Cat sings a little ditty titled "I'm Odd," a playful yet sill sinister-sounding gem that perfectly captures the nature of the character while also serving as another instantly catchy song in a film bursting with instantly catchy songs.

So then why was it cut?

While being storyboarded, an elongated sequence featuring the villainous Jabberwocky terrorizing the people of Wonderland was set to take place at some point in the film. The studio instantly scrapped the idea as it was deemed too frightening, throwing out the character of the Jabberwocky entirely. The plan to include "I'm Odd" as Cheshire Cat's introduction was eventually replaced in favor of the Jabberwocky poem "Twas Brillig," the Cheshire Cat sings in the finished film as Walt Disney himself wanted the Jabberwocky to be referenced in some way due to its iconic presence.

5. "Are You A Man Or A Mouse?" cut from "Dumbo."

"Dumbo" is too flawless of a film to be punished with the abrupt ending it concludes with. After arguably the most emotionally torturous journey of any Disney protagonist of the original era, Dumbo's happy ending, while certainly joyous, satisfying and absolutely tear-inducing, is far too sudden and simple for the characters involved-- main character Timothy Q. Mouse isn't even in the final scene. It's in this frustration does the deleted song "Are You A Man Or A Mouse?" ring as the ultimate solution to this problem.

Much like Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket, the bond between Dumbo and sidekick Timothy Q. Mouse is a friendship based on life lessons and teamwork. Dumbo's naive innocence in trying to fit into a world undeserving of his kindness pairs nicely with Timothy's stubborn optimism. Dumbo is used as an emotional punching bag for a large percentage of the film, forcing Timothy to step in as the voice of hope, and no time does that hopeful voice shout louder than the infectiously happy deleted song "Are You A Man Or A Mouse?"

After being humiliated once again in his mortifying circus performance, Timothy Q. Mouse finds Dumbo crying alone. After a few inspiring phrases like "anybody can shine when things are all okay, but it's the guy who can smile in the face of adversity that's got the stuff!" Timothy sings a song to Dumbo based on the lesson his grandfather imparted on him: are you a man or a mouse?

The lesson of not adjusting to what other's think or not crumbling under the weight of the world that this song portrays, while maybe too overt for the more subtle spirit of the film, teaches Dumbo a lesson that is hard to decipher in the finished film. In the end of the finished film, Dumbo doesn't necessarily learn this lesson but just happens to accept being a beloved oddity destined to bring smiles to the world forever. It's in this song do audiences see Dumbo learning and growing, making the ending so much sweeter.

The song was ultimately cut due to it appearing as a repetitive story beat, but it's one story beat that would have been satisfying to watch. Besides, any opportunity to see that little guy smile is an opportunity not deserving of remaining on the cutting room floor.

4. "The Face That I See In The Night" cut from "Cinderella."

In 1950, the world had been exposed to the ultimate incarnation of the rags-to-riches story for the first time. "Cinderella" debuted to the world, destined to become the manifestation of magic, romance, karma, and purity. What couldn't have possibly been expected to transcend time as the singular visual when describing a "princess story," "Cinderella" introduced the world to a heroine responsible for multiple generations' mental image of what a true princess is.

Equally as iconic in pop culture's remembrance is Prince Charming. Saddled with a handsome smile and loving personality, the Prince is as synonymous with success to a similar extent as his Cinderella. "Similar" being the correct adjective as his character-defining solo was removed from the final film. A song titled "The Face That I See In The Night" was Prince Charming's moment to shine as more than a dreamy smile.

While fleshed out in the film, "The Face That I See In The Night" goes to great lengths to picture a prince hopelessly in love with the girl in the slipper. With lyrics like "I look into eyes that implore me/I hunger for lips that invite/Then away in the darkness before me/Goes the face that I see in the night," great care was implemented to produce a song absolutely dripping with romance, especially after noticing how delicately the piano is being played.

"The Face That I See In The Night" is a gorgeous song dedicated to the warm, fluttery feeling a love creates. It's the kind of song begging to be listened to under a warm blanket with a significant other held tightly in your arms. In a movie responsible for creating a modern conception of magic and romance, it shouldn't be a surprise that the same level of magic lies in the footage that didn't make it to the finish line. It should have, though. Music this beautiful should never be detained.

3. "Life's Too Short" cut from "Frozen."

"Frozen" is one of the best movies found in the "entertaining-yet-astonishingly-inconsistent-and-fails-to-make-even-the-slightest-bit-of-sense" genre. Making the wrong choice literally every chance it has to tell the story of sisters Anna and Elsa, royal heirs to the kingdom of Arrendale, "Frozen" still somehow escaped as a very watchable adventure accompanied by one of the strongest soundtracks in Disney's history. But amidst the now iconic characters and songs, no greater sin against this musical juggernaut exists quite lack the obvious lack of character depth and development- an issue "Life's Too Short" could have helped tremendously to fix.

To be fair, nearly every scene/song/idea that was deleted from "Frozen" was ultimately an amazing scene/song/idea that would have elevated "Frozen" into the masterpiece its box office gross would imply. But to prove just how oblivious to the art of storytelling the creators of "Frozen" inherently are, the finished film dedicates very little time to actually exploring the dynamic between sisters Anna and Elsa, a relationship the film's emotional core solely relies on. With deleted songs like "We Know Better" exploring Anna and Elsa's undying devotion to each other as children, and "More Than Just the Spare" exploring Anna's insecurities when being compared to the perfect image she has of her sister Elsa, they beg the question why these ideas were not used in the final film. But no greater disservice does "Frozen" do to its characters than deleting Anna and Elsa's confrontation in "Life's Too Short."

Beginning very similarly to the finished film, Anna arrives at Elsa's ice palace in hopes of bringing her back home, but rather than the naively innocent conversation in the finished film, "Life's Too Short" is a bitter clash between a very hurt Anna and a very angry Elsa. Furiously arguing, unleashing buried grudges and hostile finger-pointing, "Life's Too Short" addresses everything the audience has been thinking up to this point- an angry Elsa blames Anna for her inability to understand and accept her feelings, while a broken Anna retaliates claiming Elsa never provided her a chance to by abandoning her for all of those years.

With just this one song, Anna and Elsa are given an enormous new step towards completing compelling character arcs the finished film never even attempted to create. "Life's Too Short" would have been the driving force behind the emotional weight "Frozen" is begging audiences to be moved by. Without it, "Life's Too Short" just serves as one of the dozen great ideas replaced with the safe but lifeless story audiences still somehow fell for.

2. "Snuff Out The Light" cut from "The Emperor's New Groove"/"Kingdom of the Sun."

The story behind the production of "The Emperor's New Groove" is almost more interesting than the immensely interesting film it created. Now famous to anyone aware, the troubled, over-budget, disastrous production of "The Emperor's New Groove" originated its spiraling descent long before the talking squirrels in "Groove" were even a thought to be storyboarded.

The fast-paced meta-comedy "Groove" was originally the now abandoned musical epic "Kingdom of the Sun." Originally a story centered around Pacha, a young llama herder dreaming of a more luxurious life, Manco, the unsatisfied royal emperor dreaming of a normal life, and Yzma, an evil witch obsessed with regenerating her youth to remain immortal forever, "Kingdom of the Sun" was to be Disney's epic to usher in the new millennium. Unfortunately, the production was plagued with budget inflations, rewrites, fired creators, and a looming threat of shutdowns. After CEO Michael Eisner gave the creators two weeks to salvage the project or be shut down forever, the idea to change "Kingdom of the Sun" into something less ambitious became the jumping off point for the construction of "The Emperor's New Groove."

The dedication to "Kingdom of the Sun" combatting against the impossible financial struggles grew to such intense emotional heights, a documentary titled "The Sweatbox" solely detailing the dream of "Kingdom of the Sun" and the intense race-against-the-clock battle with the studio was released in 2002. In that documentary, rare storyboarded animation from one of the film's numbers "Snuff Out The Light" was released to a public and the outcry for a resurrection of "Kingdom of the Sun" began to sweep the community.

The absolutely phenomenal sounding "Snuff Out The Light" was to be a true show-stopper. Serving as "Kingdom of the Sun's" villain song, Yzma sings of her plan to enlist the help of her mummy sidekicks to summon the dark spirit Supai to destroy the sun, and it is nothing less than a five-course feast for the ears. Gorgeous lyrics like "Apparitions of eternal darkness/Spiraling in circles through the night/Creatures of beguiling blackness/No more squinting in the light" are any poet's fantasy, while the immensely complicated mixture of Latin-infused big band creates a sound begging to be deciphered with a keen ear.

"Snuff Out The Light" embodies the stunning epic "Kingdom of the Sun" could have been. While "The Emperor's New Groove" is quite special and hugely entertaining, it's easy to lust after the adventure "Kingdom of the Sun" promised, and with "Snuff Out The Light" being the only easily accessible glimpse into "Sun," that lust grows only easier to succumb to.

1. "Be Prepared (Reprise)" cut from "The Lion King."

It's very easy to forget how earth-shatteringly epic "The Lion King" actually is. Known now as the Disney movie with that silly "Hakuna Matata" song, the events in "The Lion King" are borderline biblical, constantly escalating to a layer of thematic and visual maturity the likes of which family films rarely reach. Loosely inspired by Shakespeare's "Hamlet," "The Lion King" is constantly outdoing itself, desperate to enrage and inspire audiences through imagery both terrifying and elegant. This emotional rollercoaster is only strengthened in what could have been one of the best scenes in the entire film- the deleted reprise of "Be Prepared."

Years into his reign, Scar realizes his power must be carried on through his own family's lineage. As Nala approaches Scar with demands to fix the crumbling chaos of the Pridelands, Scar attempts to seduce Nala into being his queen, pinning her against a wall and singing an intimate reprise of "Be Prepared." As Nala fights back, Scar's fury reaches violent levels as he threatens Nala with banishment. With the lionesses rebelling against his decision to exile Nala, Scar unleashes his hyena henchman upon them and as shown in the clip above, it's downright terrifying to watch.

As of now, there is no official statement as to why this scene was cut, a revelation sincerely heartbreaking as its hypothetical inclusion in the finished film would have been a wonderful addition. Nala's banishment is a much more poignant reason why she runs into Simba, Timon, and Pumbaa in the middle of nowhere, while also adding an additional layer of the lionesses' hostility for the remainder of the film. But excluding the logic, this reprise succeeds at only furthering how truly evil Scar is. Murdering Mufasa was horrific enough, and "Be Prepared" (Reprise) takes it one step further. It's another stab in the heart and yet another reason why Simba's rise as King is so monumentally important.

Know of any other songs that didn't quite make the cut? Comment below and let's continue with this awesome, obscure listening party!