Deleting Social Media

Deleting Social Media

I deleted my social media for the first time last week and it's the best thing I have done for myself.

14
Deleting Social Media
Photo by dole777 on Unsplash

I am the first to admit that I am addicted to my phone. I have had a phone since I was in middle school (yikes) and remember when I downloaded Instagram for the first time. With that being said, I can't remember a time I didn't have a screen to stare at all day.

Social media has played such a large role in my life. I can't say it has been for the better either. My friends have deleted their social media in the past and I always told myself that is something I could never do. I hated the thought of being disconnected or missing out on what was going on. Little did I realize, these thoughts or ideas were soon becoming an unhealthy obsession in my life.

I relied on media too much. As a Christian, this is obviously when I realized it was time to step back.

It's easy to see other people's posts about their new career, relationship, or style and think they have it so easy. Like, wow my life could never. I forget to remember that everyone is facing their own battles and to get where they are today, took time. Personally, I would see these posts and think when is it my turn. Instead of enjoying the journey God set in front of me, I wanted to rush the through it and see what was in the end.

In a recent sermon I listened to by Steven Furtick, called "When God Says Stop," it seemed to be a big motivator on why I needed to delete my media. One point that really stood out to me was when he said "it's not about where God takes me, it's about what he shows me on the way." In my own life, social media has been distracting me from what God was wanting to show me in my life. I haven't allowed myself to look up and appreciate what God was doing around me. Instead, I have been busy looking at what God is doing in other people's lives.

Social media is just a highlight reel and it's easy to get caught up in it. Social media has acted as a big distraction in my life and it took me awhile to understand it. I have no doubt I will download social media again. Till then, my goal is to finally appreciate what's around me and I am excited to see what God's going to show me.