10 Things That Can Be Deleted From Life To Make It 100 Times More Bearable

Start small and work your way up.

92
Photo by Krists Luhaers on Unsplash

June is fast approaching, and you know what that means? We're already halfway through 2018! Summer is a time to begin new habits, mindsets, and lifestyles. It's a no-school, worry-free time where we can focus on ourselves, once again.

Part of focusing on improving ourselves is acknowledging the unwanted weight in our lives. Over time, we accumulate many unnecessary things— objects, habits, people, and so on. It rests on our shoulders, and before we know it, it impacts our attitude and mindset.

It might be time to do some reflecting on what your life, lately, has been consisting of, what weight it holds, and how it affects you. To lead a lighter, more bearable life, you have to cut some things out. Deleting these 10 things from your life can make it 100 times more bearable.

1. Unnecessary apps

As time goes on, you no doubt accumulate random apps on your phone. Remember that day you decided you were going to learn a new language? Or how about all of those shopping apps you downloaded for the coupons, yet you're too broke to ever cash in on them? Delete them! Keep only the essentials on your phone.

2. Items in your wardrobe

I bet you can think of a couple items, off the top of your head, that you always skim past when looking for an outfit to wear. Sometimes we fall victim to sentimentalizing certain articles of clothing, or we've convinced ourselves that we still will wear that top from freshman year.

Newsflash: you are lying to yourself. Donate, sell, recycle anything that you haven't worn in the last year. If you haven't worn it in a year, you're not going to wear it in the next couple of months, either.

3. Social media

Keeping up with multiple social media platforms is incredibly time-consuming. Think about how many hours you've spent flipping from Facebook to Twitter to Instagram to Snapchat to Pinterest and on and on and on.... yikes! Even typing it out makes my brain feel like mush. Narrow down which platforms you use the most and care about keeping up with, and delete the others. You'll save so much time for other hobbies that won't give you an eye strain.

4. FOMO

Along with limiting your social media use comes limiting your fear of missing out, otherwise known as "FOMO." The number one way to delete FOMO from your life is to stop comparing yourself to others. We all know people use social media to highlight the best parts of their life, but we all have our up's and downs. Don't forget that just because someone else seems to be doing great things all the time, doesn't mean you're not!

5. Steps in your morning routine

Simplify your morning routine. If you know you have 10 things you need to do in the morning, then prioritize. What has to get done? What can wait? What can get done the night before? Especially for the ladies who need the extra time to get ready.

Plan your outfit the night before. Get your bag ready. Pre-set your coffee machine. Having these little steps figured out and completed ahead of time will minimize the amount of morning stress you endure!

6. Toxic relationships

Friends or significant others alike, toxic relationships can negatively impact many aspects of your life. If your self-confidence, academic performance, or other relationships are being affected because of negativity, then it's time to let go of those people. Make room for the positive relationships in your life. Your days will pass much easier without the weight of worry and stress.

7. Fast food

Fast food drains your wallet, your energy, and your health. I'm not saying you can't self-indulge here or there, but most of us (myself included) indulge too often. Fast food shouldn't replace a meal, every day. Start by limiting yourself to a certain amount of times per week, then weekends only, then only once a week. Making meals at home is a great way to save money has plenty of health benefits.

8. Pics of your ex

...or any d-bag who has screwed you over. I feel like this should be an obvious one, but I'll say it anyway. You can't move on until you stop romanticizing the past! It doesn't matter if you both ended on good terms. You can be thankful for the memories without having your once-cute, kissing pictures on your phone. You'd probably feel even better deleting your ex's number, too. Just saying...

9. Excuses

Excuses are like a**holes, everybody has one. By taking responsibility for your actions, you remove the negative mindset that comes with placing blame on others. When we start blaming others for what goes wrong, we're naturally going to develop a negative attitude. Accepting the outcomes (good or bad) as entirely your own simultaneously means you give yourself control over your life.

10. The need to always look perfect

The phrase, "Look good, feel good" isn't always the best to live by. You can feel good in whatever outfit, style, state you choose. Stressing over your hair, makeup or clothes distracts you from enjoying yourself at the moment. Truth be told, people don't care about your appearance as much as you think they do. So next time you're not having the best hair day, don't sweat it! You won't even remember it a week, month, a year from then.

While the list could go on and on, these are a few ideas that can get you started on living a more bearable life. Start small, and work your way up to major stressors. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, and you don't need to make these changes overnight.

You will be more successful if you begin with one or two things, and let your pile grow than if you try to tackle a bunch at once. It's important for one's mental health to be a reflective individual. Therefore, take time to reflect on your life, and make sure your attitude and mindset mirror your habits and actions.