Dehydration: The Imminent Threat - Summer 2016

A few glasses a day keeps dehydration away.

15
Huffington Post

This summer the heat has been no joke! And it's not over yet. The constant heat waves with barely any break seem unending for the summer of 2016. Although most of us wish we weren't at work, work or school or home usually are the only places with air conditioning. Some of us know all the hacks for getting through the summer and withstanding the terrible and sometimes dangerous heat. However, I doubt all of us do. Most of us know about going to the beach or pool, staying hydrated throughout the day and using sunscreen lotion, not to hydrate or stay hydrated, but to protect our skin from the beautiful but harsh rays of the sun. That's not always enough. In some extreme conditions, people still collapse from heat strokes, people get migraines from being dehydrated, and extreme dehydration can even cause hallucinations, but many of us don't know the exact signs and symptoms of dehydration. The best way to prevent something from happening is to take precautions and to know the signs and symptoms beforehand. This way, if the precautions that we took weren't the best at prevention, we are aware of the symptoms and ways to alleviate them.

Dehydration may trivial in the advanced world we live in today, but think again. It is because people think this way that they may be susceptible to mild to moderate dehydration in some cases. It is always best to err on the side of caution, to take precautions to prevent dehydration in hot times and in times with mild or cold weather, because surprise surprise, dehydration doesn't only occur in hot weather.

Here is a list of some signs and symptoms of dehydration and ways to prevent them from happening to you and those you know and love.

1. Constantly Chapped Lips

No, this isn't always because you need lip balm or because you need that new lip scrub from LUSH. Have you ever thought that it may be because you're not drinking enough water? Everyone has their opinions about how much water is enough water, but there isn't really one prescribed amount of water for everyone. Most medical blogs or sites, like Mayo Clinic, usually recommend water based on an individual's body type, weight, gender and possibly other factors as well. Just be mindful that when your lips are constantly dry you may just need to increase your water intake. A few cups a day keeps dehydration away.

2. Little or No Tears When Crying

This is not normal. Even if you are not dehydrated, unless there is something wrong, medically or genetically, with your eyes or tear ducts/glands there should be tears when you cry. No tears is a sign of severe dehydration and little tears is a sign of mild to moderate dehydration. Some things to remedy this symptom is to use artificial tear drops to moisten dry eyes and to also increase the amount of water you're drinking. And of course, this problem will not be solved immediately with just one 8-ounce glass of water. Staying hydrated should be a part of your lifestyle, not just a one time cure-all. Continue drinking water regularly to stay hydrated and also because it's good for your body.

3. Headaches, Lethargy, Dizziness (or Any Combination of the Listed Symptoms)

If you feel tired for no apparent reason, or your head starts throbbing out of the blue and continues to do so or you're always dizzy upon standing up, these may be signs that you are dehydrated. The best way to know if this is true is to know your body and to recognize and remember how you feel when certain things happen to your body. Don't just eliminate these signs as just being tired, vertigo or "just a headache". That might be the case, but if it isn't do you really want to take that chance?

4. Little to No Urine or Urine That Is Dark in Color

Don't be afraid to look. Actually, I encourage you to look next time you go. Is this getting weird yet? Well, it shouldn't be. This is just another to-do on a whole list of precautions to, not only stay hydrated, but to also stay healthy. Doctors can sometimes give you a diagnosis based on just a few tests and a urine sample. Your urine says a lot about what's happening inside your body and whether something may be wrong or everything is in working order. You can usually tell that you're drinking enough water when your urine is very lightly yellow. That is, unless you have an illness that makes it difficult to diagnose dehydration just by the color or your urine alone.

5. Any Combination of the Above Symptoms

There are many more signs and symptoms to look for to judge if you or someone else is dehydrated. Any combination of the above symptoms could potentially signal that you are not sufficiently hydrated. However, this list was not created by a medical professional and is only advice from my personal experience. The symptoms listed here may signal that there is something completely different going on in your body and as such the best course of action is to contact a medical professional to be sure and in extreme cases, contact the emergency room or call 911.Some places to check for more information regarding dehydration are: WebMD, Mayo Clinic, your local clinic and your physician.

Dehydration shouldn't be taken lightly. The effects of some of the symptoms of dehydration can leave lasting marks on your body. Take precaution now so that you won't have to worry later. This is only one aspect of enjoying your summer: you also have to take proper care of your body. That way you'll live to see and enjoy another summer.