My Degree Matters And So Does Yours, Let People Enjoy It

Let's celebrate the journey and not tear each other down.

118

To parents and adults who know students who are graduating,

Graduation season is upon us! Whether you're graduating high school, getting your two-year degree, finishing vocational school, or graduating a higher degree, it's something to celebrate. However, as I'm sure we know from social media, not everyone sees it the same way.

I'm sure we have seen the above meme at some point online. But it does speak true especially given the skeptical nature of humans and the lack of empathy that is generally seen. If you're a first-generation college student, in my experience at least, there's even more scrutiny with getting your degree.

I hate how I have to write this little reminder to folks, but this goes for anything. Someone getting married? "Oh you're too young" or "You could do better." Graduating high school? "Oh everyone graduates high school" or "You'll remember these days fondly." My personal favorite? " Oh it's an overpriced piece of paper" and "Your diploma has no meaning or value."

As a first-generation soon-to-be college graduate, my degree means everyone to me. It encompasses my work up to this point, all of the long nights studying because I've had to work to make ends meet, and transitioning and uprooting my life from four or five hours away from my home. I had very little help figuring out college itself, but I've had support along the way and I am forever thankful for that. My degree means everything to me because it is a reflection of all of those life experiences that I would not trade for anything.

There's always that critic that will say "college grads just partied" or "their parents paid for everything." I worked my way through college, becoming a resident advisor, learning skills in my field, completing multiple internships, generally working up to three jobs at a time before leadership roles, and still making Dean's List nearly every semester. Plus, I got accepted to graduate school.

I say that not to brag, but I say that to challenge a stereotype. I'm not bragging, but I can only hope that my story helps someone who may be feeling lost just as I was my first year in college. I had thoughts of dropping out or transferring, but I worked hard and stuck through while learning more about myself with each moment.

Folks, this is just my casual reminder during this upcoming (and with every) graduation season coming forth. Don't be an ass and ruin someone's special day.

Don't tell your student "everyone gets a degree. you're no different." Don't tell them that it's "just a piece of paper." You don't know what life experiences someone has had to get this far. You don't know how long it took someone to get to this point. People have different identities and different layers and levels of privileges and non-privileges. Let people enjoy things and don't devalue their experiences. Show empathy and celebrate their success. I'm proud of this accomplishment and you cannot take it away from me.

Sincerely,

A soon-to-be first-genation college graduate