Right now, there are over 400,000 children in the foster care system in the United States. There are almost half a million children looking for a forever home, a family to take them in as their own. So when I say I don't want to bring another child into this world, I mean every word.

I'm at that age where so many of my friends are peers are settling down and having children. This is great! It's a big step in life that many people take, however now I'm being pushed in this direction that I can't see myself following. It's increasingly frustrating to be talked down upon when I share this part of my life with people, as people don't take me seriously. I constantly hear things like, "You might say that now, but just wait you'll change your mind."

Absolutely not.

I have to defend my beliefs to people who have already passed that chapter in their life, people that truly have no say or influence in how I choose to shape my future. I do not want my own children, plain and simple. In this country alone, there are hundreds of thousands of children waiting for an opportunity to find a home, so why isn't adoption as encouraged as conceiving yourself?

Why am I expected to put my career, that I am working so hard to build, on hold to have a child? Why am I expected to put my body through trauma and pain? Why am I expected to stop my life to start another?

What about the high possibility of my mental illnesses being passed onto my child? How is that fair to them? They didn't ask to be brought into this world, they don't deserve to go through what I have to live with every day. I couldn't live with myself if I had to see my own child going through panic attacks at age ten, years of struggling with depression, dangerous manic episodes, things I couldn't even help with.

So no, I don't want to have my own kids. Adoption is a great alternative if I see fit in my future. The pressure on young women to have children needs to end. If my decision bothers you so much, have your own children and focus on them, not mine.