Death Grips Continue to amaze listeners

Death Grips Continue to amaze listeners

"Year of the Snitch" draws listeners in with strange artwork and even stranger music.

16
Death Grips Continue to amaze listeners
Apple Music

Based in California, Death Grips are a blend between experimental hip hop and digital hardcore rap rock. However, to put them into a category really doesn't give their music justice. This is due to what each member of the band brings to the table, they're able to broadcast alternative, loud, raw, and insane emotions together in a magnificent way. The group consists of Stefan Burnett (MC Ride) on vocals, Zach Hill on drums, and Andy Morin as the producer. Formed in 2010 Death Grips has released numerous albums and mixtapes, each one being more thrilling and interesting than the last. Their style alteration in each mixtape or album draws the listener in and keeps their music interesting. Projects of theirs that I would recommend are Exmilitary, The Money Store, No Love Deep Web, and their latest album Year of the Snitch.

I loved this entire album from front to back because MC Ride uses great lyrical depth to convey what he's talking about. Additionally, there were many tracks like "Flies", "Black Paint", "Little Richard" and "The Fear" that led into each other. By doing this I felt that it made the album sound more wholesome and more of a complete project.

My favorite tracks on this album were "Black Paint", "Hahaha", "Streaky", and "The Fear". Coincidentally, the band Carseat Headrest covered the song "Black Paint" at a few of their live shows. These songs were my favorite because they brought the best elements of music together, and really showcase what the band can create.

"Black Paint" started with a fat 808 bass, and the song sounded like a Marilyn Manson-esk rallying cry. The "Hey! Hey! Hey!" lyrics shouted after the chorus sounded like the same as something off of The Golden Age of Grotesque. In "Black Paint" the lyrics "Those are my Satanic urges right now, right, right, now" and then "I'm down for the boom, boom, boom" are shouted by MC Ride over a fast-paced beat, which gets the listener's heart racing. There's so much going on in this song that you have to listen to it for a few times before you really can pick out what makes this track amazing.

"Hahaha" used one of my favorite lyrics in this album "Looking like a hedgehog, sluts go Sonic." Other than that, this song is spectacular because it's a great transition into some of their slower, and calmer music. MC Ride's quick flow over this superb beat eventually builds up and the beat drops with him rapping "Ha ha ha, bitch." Towards the end of this track there's the sound of an alarm clock which pairs up with the beat perfectly. It sounded awesome and strange at the same time.

The track "Streaky" was released as a single before Year of the Snitch, and its music video includes a member of the group staring into a flashing strobe light. This track was the catchiest song on the album, however it also sounded a little out of place. It didn't flow with the rest of the album as well as other songs had, however it does lead into the track "Dilemma".

I listened to the track "The Fear" on repeat because I love every part of the song. From the introduction of someone saying "I-I don't know dude, I just, I just drink blood dude", to the beat sounding like you're falling down a rabbit hole, this track is amazing. This song can be dissected into using numerous meanings, and the chorus "You want to kill somebody! I'm afraid to be here with you!" represents this as well.

Overall this album received a 9 and a half out of 10. This album was outright amazing and definitely worth the 20-30$ to buy on vinyl. I can't wait to hear what music this group releases next.