Dear Thanksgiving, Sincerely College Student

An open letter to Thanksgiving - to thank it for everything it gives me each November.
45

Way back in 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Native Americans shared a harvest feast; to honor this historical event, I’d like to write an open letter to the holiday inspired by it:

Dear Thanksgiving,

In the spirit of your name, there are so many things I want to say thank you for – and in true college-student fashion, I’ve organized them into a list.

1. Home-cooked food. The dining court food is getting old, and when I try to cook for myself, it ends up either pre-frozen, delivered, or in a microwavable can. So thank you for your stuffed turkey, actual mashed potatoes, various casseroles and pumpkin pie.

2. The break from school. By this point in the semester, my brain is slowly going numb. I’m writing too many papers and already procrastinating studying for finals. Finals that are only three short weeks away. I’m starting to consider skipping multiple classes if I haven’t already, and I’m forgetting simple things, like how to spell the words “accommodate” or “collaboratively”. I need this break, so thank you for giving me one, Thanksgiving.

3. The chance to see distant friends and family. My college friends are great, but I need to connect back to my roots. I need to see my parents and sisters and brother and maybe even catch a glance at someone I went to high school with to catch up or to remind me how far I’ve come. You give me an excuse to go back to my hometown, and an excuse to leave it when I don’t want to deal with it anymore. Thank you for that.

As always, I send my condolences that your diametrically-opposed nemesis Black Friday steals your thunder immediately after you’ve gone. I promise I (probably) won’t associate myself with him.

All My Best,

A College Student