Dear Parent

Dear Parent

When I come home from college for winter break, this is what I want you to know.

6
Dear Parent

Dear Parent,

When I am home, I do want to spend time with you. I have not seen you in months, and I am so glad to be home. I am free from numerous homework assignments, projects, quizzes, papers, and finals. I am no longer spending long hours in the library, pouring over books and cramming my brain full of information that will help me gain my degree. I am free from the stress of turning in my homework at 11:59pm, and I am so glad to have no scholarly responsibility for a few weeks. But just because I have no more scholarly responsibilities does not mean that we are going to do everything you want. Here is what I want you to know:

Dear Parent,

Please let me sleep when I am home. I have had lots of long nights finishing projects and other assignments that take me into the wee hours of the morning. I have had to wake up before the sun to make it to 8am classes on the whole other side of campus from my room. Now that I am home, I would like to make up for the lost sleep from this past semester. Understand if I want to sleep in until noon, because I really need it. Understand if I want to take a nap in the afternoon, because again: I really need it.

Dear Parent,

I know you have missed me dearly while I have been gone these past few weeks. I do want to spend a lot of time with you, but let me have some "me time" while I am home. I am so used to living on my own and taking care of myself now. I am becoming an independent young adult. I am used to having time to myself to watch Netflix and Disney+, and time to just scroll through social media. So please do not be insulted or upset with me if I just want some time to myself. I need it.

Dear Parent,

I haven't seen you in months. This also means I have not seen my dear friends back home for months. We may be connected through our phones, but it is not the same as physically seeing them. I came home to see them as well, so understand if I tell you that I am going over to their house for a bit to hang out and catch up on these past few months. These friends are so important to me and we have been planning to hang out for months, eagerly waiting for the day I come back home.

And Dear Parent,

I love you. I cannot wait to spend time with you this holiday season, see you soon.