Dear Old State Has Already Given Me Some Dear Old Friends

"Mississippi State, we love you" and because of you, "loyal friends we'll always be."

88
Kailee Martin

School has been in back in session for about a month now, and I can honestly say I've never had such a tight group of friends. Choosing to come to Mississippi State has to be one of the best decisions of my life.

Let's just say high school was kind of rough for me. Yes, I had some great friends, but there were also those times that I felt like I didn't.

Some of the friends in my life now, I've known, but others, I just met. It doesn't feel like that though. It feels as if we've known each other since we were kids.

We can talk to each other about everything. I don't feel like I have to hide anything from them. We are all pretty open and honest with each other about whatever we are struggling with.

We are a community. Anywhere we go, we go together. If one of us needs to go to Walmart, there's a 90% chance that the whole group will be loading up and heading to Walmart.

Walmart trips are the best because we have the best jam session on the way to and from. It's one of the best feelings in the world to scream songs at the top of your lungs with a group of friends. "Mr. Brightside" has to be our number one pick every time we get in the car.

What makes my friend group even better is that we go to church together. It's one of those things that we've grown up doing, but it's different not having your parents waking you up for church. Having a group of friends keep you accountable is so vital.

Another thing that has made our group so close is acceptance. We can all be ourselves. Some of us have talked about that we feel more ourselves now than we ever had. It's not because we've changed who we are since we've been at college. It's because we love each other instead of being judgmental.

Having this group of friends triples the amount of fun we have at sporting events. Football games are literally the best. If you see us, we will definitely be laughing and making the most out of the situation, even if we are losing and sitting in the blazing sun.

We are definitely having fun when "Don't Stop Believing" comes on. Each of us holds our cowbell and scream the lyrics at the top of our lungs, no matter how dumb we look. At the end of the game, we lock arms and sing the Alma Mater and Fight Song. These songs are so meaningful to us.