To The NBA, MLB And Other Athletes Walking Out For BLM, Thank You
Currently

Thank you for using your platform.

1362

On Sunday, August 23, a Black man named Jacob Blake was shot seven times by police officers in Kenosha, WI. He had been working to break up a fight when the police showed up.

As he tried to get into his car, an officer apparently pulled on the back of his shirt then started shooting at close-range. Paramedics were called and people rushed to the scene to help the innocent man, who has been paralyzed from the waist down and continues to fight for his life.

The response

All around America, everyone has been reacting. There have been protests in Wisconsin to make a change and demanding justice for Jacob Blake.

The big event that has caught my eye as a sports fan was the boycotted games throughout the NBA and now the MLB. Teams decided to boycott as a way to show they stand against this injustice and are demanding change. I am loving this first step in demanding change. The athletes know that they have a platform, and in my opinion, are making a great start to using their platform.

The most recent update I got was that the Milwaukee Bucks boycotted their game and spent the time in their lockerroom to talk to Wisconsin's lieutenant governor and attorney general in demands for change. The Bucks ownership then proceeded to release a statement that they "wholeheartedly agree" with the players.

They are not the only team to boycott their game, seeing as the Boston Celtics and Toronto Raptors, and the Oklahoma City Thunder and Hoston Rockets have met and discussed not playing as a way to make a stand.

I believe that what the players are doing is a great start and that they will continue to do what they deem necessary to have the correct action done.

As the Bucks players said in their own statement, the focus of today and the following days should not be on sports. It needs to be on giving justice to those affected by recent events. Everyone who has a platform like these athletes should use it to the best of their ability. It should not be a regular thing to hear of a black man being shot by the police.

What you can do

It is important that a difference is made. In order for that to happen, people can step up and help to make the change.

You can help get justice for Jacob Blake during this time. Every possible thing can and will help to make a difference in the way that society is working. Wouldn't you want to say that you were a part of that change?

A few different numbers that you can call to demand justice for Jacob Blake are listed:

Kenosha city attorney: (262) 653-4170

Kenosha mayor and city administration: (262) 653-4000

Wisconsin DOJ: (608) 266-1221

You can call those numbers and demand that the officers responsible for this be held accountable for their actions.

On another note, the killers of Breonna Taylor have not been arrested. A number that you can call for her justice is as follows:

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear's office: (502) 564-2611

District Attorney Tom Wine: (502) 595-2300

Attorney General Daniel Cameron: (502) 696-5300