Dear Nana, I Need You To Know

Dear Nana, I Need You To Know

Thank you for everything.

118
Dear Nana, I Need You To Know
Alexandra Hoolehan

Dear Nana,

I just wanted to make sure I tell you exactly what I think of you. You've been through so much, and even though we live together, I do not tell you how much I appreciate you nearly enough.

I have had the pleasure of living with you for most of my life. You watched me after school and made me eggs in the morning for breakfast. You paid for 10 years of swimming lessons and you weren't mad when that dumb-ass coach ruined the sport for me. You even came to some of my softball games when I picked up a new passion. Whenever I have problems with friends or boys, you are right there talking about, "His/Her ass is grass and I'm gonna mow it." You have seen me at my worst and I haven't always been the nicest person to you. I have my moments and I am sorry. You did not deserve any of that. You are such a strong woman. You survived breast cancer, raised 5 children, and dealt with myself and my brother all of our lives. (Lord knows this was the hardest part.) We fight and it upsets you because we're siblings and it's frustrating because we then direct our anger at those who weren't involved; our parents or you.

You've done so much for me. Between the swimming lessons, letting me borrow your car when I'm almost out of gas, and treating me to lunch on my days off, you try to do it all. I can tell when you're having a bad day; if the weather sucks it hurts your joints, or if your back hurts you won't do much that day. A few days later you'll be up on your feet running around with me. You have the cutest little chihuahua who annoys the shit out of Mom and Dad, but he makes you happy. (Even when you threaten to take him to the pound, we all know it'd break your heart if you really thought about giving him up.)

I know we are all so thankful for you, and hopefully, now you know a little better. We love you, I love you. Thank you, Nana.