Dear Hillary, Sincerely A Not-So-Nasty Young Woman

I can only hope that such responsibility is met with a change in character and a fresh outlook on life, liberty, and justice for all.

10
Andrew Harnik

Multiple political Odyssey posts like this one and this one have been surfacing, especially during this impactful time. Here's my opinion.

Mrs. Clinton,

I stare in awe as I picture an empowered woman, poised and prevalent near the podium, ready to address our nation as the President of the United States.

Women have long sought the justice and equality we respectfully deserve in this country, and have since made great strides in achieving such feats, though none would compare to the ultimate power as President.

Women are revered as strong, nurturing, and alluring. Our instincts mold us into homemakers and caregivers, acing as the glue that holds people together: the kind of glue that could very well repair a nation tearing at the seams.

With the racial divide as rampant as ever and foreign affairs imploding all around us, America could use some love, a little bit of “act right,” and a new perspective; a job description that accurately describes that of a Mother, wouldn’t you agree?

Now, allow me to get to the point. My issue is not with a woman in the White House, it’s with you.

The way you’ve conducted yourself throughout the proceedings of the 2016 election is deplorable. I am embarrassed, as a young woman, that you are the first woman to represent us in an election. Not only that, but the idea that you may some day represent our nation is shameful.

Your views have ebbed and flowed with the tide of the masses, and you’ve continually proven that while you may stand firm, it is not on solid ground. Whether or not I agree with you has no bearing, have the decency to at least pick a side for me to agree or disagree with, as I’m still unsure of your views.

Your character, or lack there of, makes you unfit to lead a nation. You have a rapport for lying, cheating, and engaging in illegal activity, as do most politicians, I guess, but I expected more from the WOMAN representing not only my country, but me. Nevertheless, it is not the mistakes that you’ve made that cause me to question your readiness, rather how you’ve chosen to handle them; not with the grace and poise of a woman I’d deem fit to led the most powerful nation in the world.

I am saddened by the women in my country, most of whom are too busy being offended by Donald Trump (and rightfully so, if I may say so myself), because they are being distracted from the “nasty” woman that you really are. You are only seen as a worthy candidate when placed next to him, and that isn’t something I’d brag about… considering I’d vote for my dog before I’d willingly vote for him.

If your campaign is centered on being better than Trump, then be better. Don’t just pretend to be.

Consider this constructive criticism, from one woman to another: if you’re representing us women, arguably the stronger, smarter, and more sensible gender (am I right or am I right?), then do it right. Do it so well that we ever wonder why we let 44 men run our country before we decided to do it ourselves. Leave a lasting legacy on our nation that the history books will never be able to convey through a few chapters. Use your power to empower others.

From what I’ve seen, you don’t deserve the opportunity, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get it.

My opinion aside, you may very well be the first woman trusted with the responsibility of leading our nation. I can only hope that such responsibility is met with a change in character and a fresh outlook on life, liberty, and justice for all.

Sincerely,

A Not-So-Nasty Young Woman