Dear High School Senior

This past weekend I had the chance to spend some time with my mom, which as a college student is sometimes a rare occurrence. As we were talking she said, "How crazy is it that two years ago we were planning your high school graduation?"

2 YEARS.

it seems crazier and crazier to me the more I think about it. College has absolutely flown by. It feels like just yesterday I was all jittery getting ready to walk across the stage at graduation and then having those same jittery feelings on the drive to college. Yet, here we are two years later. I remember going through high school thinking time was going by fast, but trust me college feels like a blink.

Reflecting on this, I thought about how eager I was to simply get out of high school. I wanted so badly to just be done and move on, but now that I have, I wish I would have taken more advantage of where I was. I wish I would've talked to my teachers more and spent more time with my best friend who is now 4 hours away from me at a different school. There are moments I wish I could go back to and advice I wish I could have listened to. I know it may seem like you're totally over it and done, but high school is a crucial period of your life and can give you a lot of sweet memories and moments if you let it.

Don't get me wrong, college has been such an amazing, giving, fun, and exciting experience that I am so thankful to have. I have met some of the greatest people and have formed the greatest friendships. However, I am also thankful to have positive memories of my high school experience and a special bond with my high school friends. It has been so cool to keep up with high school friends and go through college "first's" together just like we went through high school "first's" together.

If you are a high schooler reading this, I know how you are feeling. I know you're eager to leave but also anxious to go. This period of your life brings a whirlwind of emotions and I know how overwhelming it can be. But just hear me out, I promise you some of the best days of your life are ahead, but don't forget to take in the days you have now. Enjoy your family, your room, your friends, your space, your daily routine. Because while change is good, it can also be sentimental.