To My Old Friends, I've Been Doing So Much Better Without You

P.S. I don't miss any of you

526
Pexels.com

It's been almost two years since I’ve talked to any of you. You’re all probably very busy with college and your new groups of friends to check in with an old one. Yet, you all still find time to catch up with each other, but not me?

I wont lie when I say that it really hurt to know that I wasn’t as important to you as you all were to me. It broke my heart to know that the memories I made with each one of you meant way more to me than it did for the rest of you. Knowing that when I come home from school and I don’t have a single friend (besides one, you know who you are) to hangout with is just awful and lonely.

My parents ask why I don’t meet up with anyone as much as I used to. I never have an answer to give because I don’t even know what I did for you all to just drop me. I thought losing you all would be the worse thing to ever happen to me, but actually it was the nicest and best thing you could have ever done for me.

Thanks to your lack of loyalty and friendship, I found a place and people who truly like and love me for me. I’ve done so much without you and every day I learn that I am doing just fine without any of you and your fake friendships.

Since moving on, I’ve been able to reinvent myself into the person I always wanted to be. I forced myself out of this bubble of what I’ve always known and into a new world of excitement. I have done so many things that I never even imagined I would be able to say that I have done.

From simply starting conversations with complete strangers, corralling a horse into a pen, dancing and singing in front of the majority of my campus, joining a sorority, and even taking on leadership roles.

Before, I had always been the follower and did what the rest of you wanted to do. Now I have a voice and speak my mind and share my opinions. With you, I had little to no voice. Now I can be heard by everyone I speak and they are always wanting to listen and take in what I have to say.

As corny as this sounds, I found my tribe with people who actually care about me and my feelings. There are days when I feel down and bad about myself. Before, all of you never gave me the support and comfort I needed. Yet, I was always there as a shoulder to cry on when any of you were upset. I felt that I had to hold in all of my feelings around you because I feared you’d think I was overreacting or being ridiculous.

Since then, my feelings and emotions have been validated and I can always rely on someone to vent to when I’m stressed or when anxiety is rearing its ugly head. These new friends that I have come to know as my second family come in all shapes, sizes, colors, gender, cultures, etc. We’re all different, but its our differences that bring us closer together. I’ve created bonds with these people that will last for a lifetime.

When you all decided that I wasn’t worth your time and energy, it made me question my own worth as a person. I felt that I was someone that didn’t deserve to have friends or be loved by anyone (besides my family). You all broke me down little by little until I was a pile of rubble laying on the ground. I felt defeated, hopeless, unwanted, and eventually an outsider to a group who I had always thought were my “friends”.

I was extremely lucky to find those people at college who built me back up and made me stronger than I ever was before. They showed me that I deserved to be loved, I was worthy of friendship, and despite my flaws, I mattered just as much as anyone else. I regained so much confidence that had been lost for quite sometime and it took me changing my surroundings and meeting amazing people to accomplish that.

For so long, I thought I could never trust anyone to be my friend. I knew it would end up with me being left behind and forgotten about. I've learned and grown so much in the past two years. I finally understand what it means to be a true friend. Despite your lousy way of ending a long-time bond, it made me stronger, wiser, and opened my eyes that there are people in the world that just simply don't care about you. It took so much pain and heartbreak to find my true friends and to realize that I am enough.

From,

A much happier Jordan