Dear Book That I'll Never Write

Dear Book I'll Never Write

An snippet from a story I've been working on

31
Dear Book I'll Never Write
Anna Friguglietti

This is the first "chapter," I made the cover!

"And so, the princess and her prince lived happily ever after. The end." The little girl sighed, finishing reading her book aloud.

A proud smile flashed across her face as the closed the pages, turning to spot the creature she was practicing reading too. She shifted to face the coat rack beside her where the creature was, her little feet dangling off of the chair she was sitting in.

"Did you like the story, Mister Boogey?" She asked, tilting her head to the side.

No answer came from underneath the black trench coat hanging on the rack.

The little girl frowned, slipping rather ungracefully off of her chair and walking over to the rack. She slowly grabbed the edges of the coat, eyes alight with mischief.

"Mister Boogey?" The girl asked again.

After being answered with more silence, the little one slowly peeled the coat open, revealing only the coat rack.

"Where did he go?" She asked, a pout forming on her face as she let go of the coat.

The little girl shrunk back, climbing back up in the chair as tears formed in the corner of her eyes. She took the book in her arms, sad that her friend had left without a word or a goodbye but hopeful that he would come back to finish the story with her.

A soft breeze swept through the room, the sudden movement making the little one jump. Before she could turn to see what had caused the wind, she was swept up in darkness.

"Gotcha." A voice chuckled, strong arms cuddling her close.

The little girl squealed with contagious laughter, looking up to see the intelligent grey eyes of her creature.

"I thought that you left." The little girl chided, unable to wipe the smile from her face as she tried to pout again.

"Oh, my dear, I would never leave you. I am your guardian after all, am I not?" He asked, tapping her nose.

"And I will always be your Boogeyman." He said, offering a grin.

The little girl simply rolled her eyes, resting her head against his chest.

"You can at least say goodbye next time."

Mister Boogey shook his head the voice of the girl's mother echoed up into the attic.

"Well then...goodbye until next time." He winked, disappearing into the shadows.

The little girl sighed, leaving the book on the chair and leaving the attic. She barreled down the stairs, running into the kitchen to find her mother.

"Maeve Rose Tyler, where have you been? You, little girl, are about to miss dinner." Her mother teased, ruffling her hair.

"Sorry mommy." Maeve said sheepishly, skipping to her chair at the table.

"I didn't hear you in your room." Her father said, joining Maeve at the table.

"Oh, I was practicing reading in the attic with Mister Boogey." Maeve grinned as her mother set plates on the table.

"Who's Mister Boogey?" Her mother asked, sharing an amused glance with her husband.

"Oh, he's my best friend! We play in the attic and in my room! And sometimes he talks with me when I'm too scared to sleep." Maeve explained.

"Go ahead and eat your pasta, baby. Daddy and I have to talk for a minute."

Maeve watched curiously as her parents walked out of the dining room, briefly wondering if what she had said upset them before turning back to her food.