Dear Black Friday Shoppers, From A Retail Employee

When you are out Black Friday shopping please remember to keep these things in mind and don't be rude.

127
Anna Dziubinska

Dear Black Friday Shoppers,

I understand you’re in a rush to get the best deal. Saving a couple bucks here and there is not, however, means to treat us, retail employees, rudely. As a two-time Black Friday retail employee, I can tell you that we are not trying to slow your shopping process or purposefully screw you out of deals.

I am doing my job.

I’m giving up time on Thanksgiving Day, time that could be well spent by the fire, eating loads of stuffing and laughing with my family, to help you find the perfect gift for your aunt who has been twice removed. SO PLEASE, be kind to me. Don’t start yelling when I say that we don’t have that style in or that we sold out of that color. It’s not my fault.

Keep in mind, also, that this is probably my 4th day working on a 7-day work streak, and I’m only halfway through my twelve-hour shift. I may be a little tired, and sometimes coffee doesn’t wake the body up like it used to the first few dozen times you had it that day. If I don’t hear you quite right the first time or bring out the wrong size from the back, just politely tell me you wanted something else and I will be on my way. I am here to try to help you, so help me by not being so rude.

On top of that, please be respectful to fellow shoppers. You’re all here for the same purpose, to get some bomb deals. If someone takes the purse you wanted, don’t tackle them to the ground and have a full out MMA brawl. If you and another shopper are vying for the same item and there’s only one left, be a grown up and do rock, paper, scissors. We don’t want to call security and I know you don’t want to be escorted out by them either, so just put a happy face on.

Lastly, for anyone planning to come into a store. A store with men and women working to maintain their livelihoods. Do. Not. Steal. Black Friday is busy and hectic and you stealing from the store is not going to help. That’s potentially money out of mine and a fellow employee’s paycheck. It’s not the right thing to do, especially because that thing you just stole was on sale and probably easily affordable.

Overall, let’s remember that Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, which is a day of thankfulness and caring. So, let’s make sure to maintain some of that thankfulness when shopping this year. Thank the employee who helped you with your items and gives them a smile. It goes a long way and is greatly appreciated.

Yours Truly,

A Retail Worker