Dear Birth Control

Dear Birth Control

40
Dear Birth Control
The New Yorker

Dear Birth Control,

Thank you.

I have been a user of you for two years now and you have made my life so much better. Many fear you because they label you as a "baby killer" or a "sin", but you have given me a better life.

Ever since I started my period I had terrible cramps. I would take some Advil and go on with my day. Eventually, Advil wasn't enough and I constantly had a heating pad on due to unbearable cramps. Some days I could barely walk let alone function.

Two years ago, my killer cramps finally drew me to my breaking point. I sped home from school and ran the water for the tub. I laid in the tub sobbing and screaming, not sure when the pain would end.

Upon my next doctor's appointment, my doctor prescribed me birth control to help with my cramps and heavy bleeding.

After three months of being on the pill, I was able to function like a normal person while on my period. I no longer had to stay home and pop pills to feel normal.

Unfortunately, I worry that I may not be able to obtain birth control as easily anymore. The senate has just made the first step towards dismantling Obamacare and has rejected the amendment that requires insurance companies to cover birth control.

According to the National Women's Law Center, myself along with 55 million women take birth control with no out-of-pocket costs.

Luckily I live in a state where it is required for insurance companies to cover birth control with no co-pay if Obamacare is repealed.

I just hope that those that are no longer covered eventually can obtain their contraceptive. These women use birth control for not only to prevent pregnancy but to help with heavy bleeding during their period, cramping during their period and its regulation in general.

I appreciate what birth control has done for me and will continue to fight for others to get the same benefits as I have.

Sincerely,

Stephanie