How To Deal With Writer's Block

How To Deal With Writer's Block

I just fixed the writing process for everyone. You're welcome.

5
How To Deal With Writer's Block

Whether you're a writer for a living, or you have a paper due in a few hours, writer's block is a dangerous yet inevitable part of the creative process. If you have ever thought to yourself, "I wish there were a way to end writer's block", well wish no further! I have complied an easy to read, handy guide to end writer's block. I got you, fam. You're welcome.

1. Write about the first thing that comes to mind. Then get depressed that you're not instantly creative.

You know what they say: Rome was built in a day. If you haven't written the next great American novel overnight, why are you even bothering writing?

2. Read works of literature that you admire. Then get frustrated that you can't write as eloquently.

You're not the next Shakespeare. So basically, you shouldn't write until you've found an idea that matches the depth and profoundness that Hamlet offers.

3. Put all the pressure on yourself.

This is the path all good writers must take. First, take yourself way too seriously. Everyone will see your writing, and judge your worth from there. You can't mess up, and you can't let yourself write something bad. That means that every one of your sentences must be perfect, eloquent, and should reveal some intense fundamental truth.

4. Write a list of ideas out, get frustrated that none of them are good, and throw out the list

Let's be real, brainstorming never works. It just reminds you of how much of a failure you are in list form. You can even skip this phase, because you will just get frustrated anyways.

5. Bang your head against a desk until you have an idea

Let the frustration over take you. A good idea will come eventually. Maybe.

6. Spend your time criticizing other people's writing instead.

Hey, if you can't think of anything to write about, why not tear other people down? It's a nice ego boost, and it's a way to apply your skills of writing without actually having to come up with original material.

7. Look at old Buzzfeed articles from 2014

This should give you a good source of inspiration, because Buzzfeed articles are the original source of solid internet articles. If you can't find any inspiration, you can always plagiarize old ideas that no one will (probably) remember.

8. Talk to your pets/inanimate objects about your struggle.

No human being a) wants to hear about your creative struggles and b) will be able to understand your struggles. So listen to your thoughts even more intensely by talking to yourself. Then feel less bad if it is directed at something incapable of human speech.

9. Procrastinate for 10 more hours

10. Create a listicle

If it is sarcastic, vague, and not helpful at all, that's even better.