A Day In The Life Of A Music Major

A Day In The Life Of A Music Major

Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a music major?

813
A Day In The Life Of A Music Major
Caroline Pogge

People don't realize how many classes and rehearsals music majors have on a daily basis. While most people are taking five to six classes all together, music majors are sometimes taking seven classes a day. While it is sometimes overwhelming, it is manageable and extremely rewarding. In the music world, networking and taking every opportunity given to you is very important. That is part of the reason why as a music major, there really isn't any down time. Time management is everything.

6:30 a.m.: Your alarm goes off and you think, “Okay, if I sleep for another 30 minutes, I can just skip breakfast and still have time to shower and make it to my 8 a.m. aural skills class on time.”

7 a.m.: Your alarm goes off for the second time, and you begrudgingly get up and fall over your guitar case that you forgot was on the floor and wake up your lovely roommate. Whoops.

8 a.m.: Aural skills class with Tif (pretty much the coolest teacher you’ll ever meet). In aural skills, students will work to develop ear training, harmonization skills, music theory and sight singing.

9 a.m.: Sprint across campus to your English class, and arrive out of breath.

10 a.m.: Sprint back across campus to your Piano class, arriving just in time for the pop quiz you might have forgotten about.

11 a.m.: Conducting class. Thankfully that is in the same building, so you have a few minutes to slowly get yourself there.

12 p.m.: Guitar lesson.

12:47 p.m.: Your stomach growls because you pressed snooze on your alarm and didn't have time to stop for breakfast. You hope your teacher didn't hear that (he definitely did).

1 p.m.: Here's the tough part. You could either get lunch, or spend the hour before your next class practicing for your lesson that afternoon. You opt to practice and continue starving, eating an apple you found in your bag.

2 p.m.: Chamber music rehearsal.

3 p.m.: Primary instrument lesson, the highlight of your week!

4 p.m.: Symphony Orchestra rehearsal. You are now really feeling the effect that not eating lunch or breakfast is having on your body. Thankfully, your co-principal is the best and brings you a granola bar.

5:30 p.m.: Run to the dining hall and eat as quickly as you can.

5:45 p.m.: Leave campus for another rehearsal and start thinking about how you need to practice tonight for the audition you have tomorrow.

10 p.m.: Get back to campus and lock yourself in a practice room for the next few hours.

12 a.m.: Wow... where did the day go? You now start your homework.

3 a.m. (if you're lucky): Try to get some sleep for the next few hours.

6:30 a.m.: Repeat this process again. Yay!

The days seem endless, and the nights seem to go by in a split second. It always seems like there is just enough time in the day to accomplish what you need to do, nothing extra. The dedication and commitment to their music and musical career will take the musician to new levels of self commitment, which is something that everyone needs in life.