Dating Struggles When You're Gluten-Free

Don't judge me because I don't use the same menu.
67

So let me start by saying that being gluten-free is the biggest blessing in disguise. Not only does my brain thank me for the absence of migraines, but also my whole body is jumping for joy because I am eating more mindfully and healthfully.

But let me tell you the real struggle bus I'm on because I am gluten-free. Dating. Here's a scenario:

You are talking to this guy and they invite you to go get beers. You can't drink beer. You go anyway because there's other drinks besides beer, obviously. BUT, he may judge you because you're not a "beer kind of girl" or that you order "girly drinks". THIS IS SO ANNOYING! Why does the type of alcohol determine if you're chill and down to earth or stuck up and prissy.

What about dinner? Dinner is casual, right? You go to a classy brewery or Panera Bread to grab a bite and get to know one another. There, you have to scour the menu, ask for a different menu, or just play it safe and order water. All the while, your new "date" is wondering if you are just high maintenance, or actually gluten intolerant.

He will wonder if you have to do this everywhere and how many places you can't go because of this "disease". They will try not to judge you because they know that'd be shitty reason not to date you, but they do think about how much of a hassle it will be. You know this because when you tell them you're gluten free and they just respond with "Oh..."

I'm not saying that all guys will treat you this way, but just let it be known--in Today's society, being gluten intolerant is a deal breaker. Yet here I am still hopeful that I will find my prince charming to eat gluten free mac and cheese with.