The ONLY College Guys Worth Dating Are NOT On Dating Apps

The Tragic Truth Is The ONLY College Guys Worth Dating Are NOT On Dating Apps

My thumbs hurt from swiping.

42
Sarah Witherspoon

Tinder, Grindr, Hinge, Bumble, Plenty of Fish, MeetMe, eHarmony, OkCupid, Zoosk, Christian freaking Mingle, you think of a name? Probably a dating app for it. Farmers Only? Yup, that's a thing. There are so many dating apps out there now for college kids and older (typically) to branch out and see what other people are desperate for love or just want a quick hookup.

I've been on a majority of the apps I listed, mostly out of boredom, but some because I thought I could find a somewhat decent guy with the luck of the swipe.

You never really know what you're going to discover with the person behind the digital profile, and unfortunately, 9 times out of 10, they're going to want to have a casual conversation then have it take a turn.

Something like this:

Guy: hey :)

me: hey what's up?

Guy: nothing much. send nudes?;)

Thank god for the un-match feature, because that is a God-sent gift for me with all these scumbags that are popping in my messages. Currently, as I write this, it's 11:30 at night and I'm spending my time swiping on Tinder to see if I can find a cute guy to talk to who won't cut me off because I unfollowed him on social media after he ghosted me.

(Personal story, but, I'm sure you ladies can relate).

Honestly, trying to quit these dating apps is like breaking an addiction: once you start, you can't really stop. If you're like me, you'll go through phases where you think, "Hey, maybe this guy is actually worth giving a chance" and you decide to delete the dating apps off of your phone and forget they ever existed. But then, homeboy disappears and you're finding yourself back in the App Store re-downloading Tinder and Bumble to continue your scrolling endeavors.

"Look at you! 25 new people in your area liked you! Swipe to find out!"

Most. Misleading. Notifications. Ever. Bumble is a huge culprit of sending false hope in notifications on your phone. Thinking that 30+ guys actually swiped right on you? Yeah, right. Also with Bumble, females are designated to speak first then the guys have 24 hours to respond after the ladies send their opening message. But, Bumble also has Bumble BFF and Bumble Bizz, where you don't need to focus on finding a lover, but I'm sure people use all forms of Bumble to try and find some naive person.

I'm sick of the rejection, I'm sick of the sleazy guys, but, living in this generation, it seems almost impossible to try and reason out with a college-aged guy when it comes to relationships and feelings. I'll admit, I hate talking about feelings too, but, if you're going to want my feelings to be positive toward you, you have to make that effort and prove you're actually sticking to your word and not putting on a front to make people fall for you. It won't get you far, buddy.

So what I'm trying to say here is: delete the dating apps.

You don't need them, they're just a waste of time and I get it, it's a great pastime to just be swiping left and right playing some Tinder roulette, but eventually you're gonna have to stumble out of bed, tumble into the kitchen, and pour yourself a cup of ambition.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.