My New Year's Resolution Is To Dance

My New Year's Resolution Is To Dance

If 2018 taught me anything, it is that one of the most important things in life is knowing that it is okay to dance.

10

It sounds silly, I know. But, if 2018 taught me anything, it is that one of the most important things in life is knowing that it is okay to dance.

Dance when you can, wherever you can. Make a fool of yourself! Tonight, I was standing on the beach with my friends as the sun was setting, and I started playing old school skate factory songs, and we started dancing around the beach like complete fools. I'm talking wobbly, fist-pumping, excessively jumping fools. And let me tell you, people were looking. A bunch of people walked by, watching us jump around the water and sing badly and dance like we don't have a care in the world. And it's true, we didn't care. I wouldn't have it any other way.

When you're dancing, stop trying to not step on other people's toes. Step on other people's toes if you have to! If you're too worried about stepping on toes, then you're going to be too cautious and you will never truly feel the joy of letting yourself just dance. Dance your heart out, and make mistakes along the way. If you step on someone's toes, say sorry and move on. It happens.

Dance to your own music, because not all music is good so you don't have to pretend like it is! If you don't like something, then you don't like it. Your dance will flow much more easily if you love what you are dancing to. It's so much harder to dance and be joyful when you don't like the song, so don't waste your time trying. Like whatever it is that you want to like, not what other people tell you to like. Because, as I said, the fact is that not all music is good so don't pretend!

The point here is that at the end of the day there are symphonies playing and ladies singing and they are telling you to dance and book the flight and run the marathon and go camping with your best friends and live and laugh and do things for YOU. So, do whatever you want because the truth is we are all going to die one day. No one is going to remember who you followed on Instagram but they're going to remember what you did and I sincerely hope that your grandkids will tell their kids about how their grandma/pa really just loved to dance.