How Our Culture Of Impatience Came To Be & Where Is It Going?

If you think everyone around you seems to be in a hurry all the time... you're right. They are. But how did we get to be so impatient?

201

Everyone's looking for ways to make life easier. It's why people invented the wheel, and the Romans gave themselves instant access to water through aqueducts. It's what drives humans to fly to the moon and remove salt from seawater.

These improvements can make life easier, healthier and more enjoyable for everyone, but they also change lifestyles. People used to pass the time by working on intricate handmade projects or reading books in a quiet corner. Now those activities feel like they put life on pause. When someone wants something, they demand it immediately.

This culture of instant gratification has developed quickly over the last few decades. Discover how this culture came to be and where it's headed.

Technology Encouraged Instant Gratification

Modern technology began to pick up speed when computers became mainstream in the 1980s. As people got used to looking at a screen each day, they searched for ways the technology could improve. Dial-up internet clogged phone lines and delayed access to essential work emails. As a result, people pondered how to make it faster.

The tech boom created immediate access to anything people could want. If you have a question, you can sit down at a computer and find the answer through a search engine. Devices connected to the internet provide instant and loud notifications, distracting people with what's happening in the real world.

Instant gratification became a significant part of everyday life when phone companies introduced 3G mobile data in 2002, connecting people to the internet despite their location. Whether you want to send a work email, post on social media or look up a website, you no longer have to wait until you get back home.

Entertainment Made Patience a Pastime

The entertainment industry recognized the need for instant gratification as technology advanced. They seized the opportunity by taking media to customers instead of the other way around.

TV stations and movie companies began streaming their content online to ensure no one had to wait to watch a rerun on TV. This concept revolutionized the way people spent their time. The wait to watch was gone, putting immediate gratification in their hands.

Instant access applies to entertainment outside of streaming companies. Companies introduced tickets like fast passes at theme parks to eliminate wait lines for rides. They created social media presences to alert customers to sales and specials. Instant access became the norm, encouraging people to indulge.

Retail Bought Into Impatience

The retail world wasn't left out of the rush to get people what they wanted. Companies began mass-producing clothing at low costs to drive down store prices. People started shopping online, and brands raised the e-commerce shopping bar to speed up deliveries from two weeks to two days.

Consumers enjoy a quick turn around on their orders, which shows in the retail industry's profits. Fast fashion produced $35 million in earnings in 2018 alone. It's a staple in the industry that won't disappear anytime soon.

Delayed Gratification Still Exists

Even with everything a tap away, delayed gratification still exists and provides many benefits. A recent study found that when people use delayed gratification in their work life, it results in a better balance between what they do professionally and how they relax at home. This equilibrium is key to remaining happy in your career and content with your hobbies.

Delayed gratification can also make your personal life more enjoyable. Instead of immediately buying that gift for yourself or taking your significant other out on a date every night, wait a bit. This time allows you to enjoy those simple pleasures more when they happen. It leads to better experiences and encourages long-lasting and healthy marriages in couples.

Despite Challenges, The Future Looks Bright

Some may think the culture of impatience that led to instant access might be a bad thing. The future, however, looks bright. As more consumers use two-day shipping features and stream content, the more they'll realize how nice it is to wait a bit for what they want. When everything's at your fingertips, it no longer seems as special.

Delayed gratification will never disappear entirely. It's only taken a temporary backseat to the modern advancements that make life better.