Crying: A Healthy Coping Skill

Crying: A Healthy Coping Skill

Sharing My Experience to Connect With Others

39
Crying: A Healthy Coping Skill

Growing up, I did not understand how to properly cope with emotions. For my readers on here, I am assuming that many of you have experienced something similar in your own lives. Today I have finally come to a place in my life where I am allowing myself to work through and feel my emotions again. While many times this can be painful, it ends up being beneficial in the long run. Everyone has their own forms of coping, but I would like to share mine today. While this is not my only coping skill, this is one that I was uncomfortable with for a great amount of time. I have finally accepted how beneficial this skill is for me, and have realized that I do not need to be ashamed of it if it helps me.

So with that said, what has crying really done for me? Well, let me start off by saying that there was a time when I did cope in a healthy way. Up until around the age of 15 I did not really have any problems with coping in a healthy manner, besides the fact that I had some pre-existing anxiety issues. However, sometimes traumatic events happen that make it difficult to cope. Whatever the situation is, your brain may use a defense system and make it harder to feel things. In my case, I became numb to my emotions. This was okay for a short period of time, but it built up after a while. Fast forward years later, and my therapist has given me strong advice to try to start allowing myself to feel emotions again, and more specifically to cry. I had been extremely uncomfortable with crying due to attending multiple funerals and thinking that it I was too sensitive compared to others. This was very difficult to try to attempt in the beginning, but it got better over time. Am I still embarrassed at times when I cry in an inconvenient place or situation? Yes. Do I feel like I cry quite often? Yes. Is the release of pent up feelings absolutely amazing and worth it? Yes, 100%.

It is okay if you cry more than other people around you. This does not make you weak, if anything it makes you stronger because you are doing what is best for you and your mental health. Today I can come on here and say that I am no longer afraid. Fear has been removed in this small situation in my life, but that is a big step. Do what works for you, and don't let your perception of what other people think about you control your life anymore. You deserve better. Stay healthy :)