Crisis Hits Venezuela
Politics

Crisis Hits Venezuela

It's not the first time, and it won't be the last.

13
Crisis Hits Venezuela
Gabriella Simon

For those of you who don't know, Venezuela has been going through one of its harshest and most violent crisis yet. For the past seventeen years, Venezuela has been going through tumult as the government shifted from a democracy to a dictatorship. As the years have passed, the situation has only worsened.

Recently, Venezuela has been compared to Cuba. Not only is it dangerous to leave your house, as you might get kidnapped, but also the grocery stores are in lack of food. Some of the essentials, such as milk, cheese, eggs, and flour are impossible to find. When they are found, only the elite can afford to actually buy them. This is due to the fact that minimum wage in Venezuela is .20 cents an hour.

Although elections are still held, the "president" declares himself ruler every time. The whole system is absolutely corrupt. The police system does not work. The joke, "pizza arrives before the police does" is a reality there; that is if there's the ingredients to make the pizza in the first place.

For a long time now, humongous numbers of citizens have been marching the streets of Venezuela hoping for change. Every step they take, though, only brings them further injustice. The police or army don't peacefully stand by and watch until violence breaks out, they make the violence break out. They throw tear gas at the innocent citizens and beat them.

The worst of all is that almost nothing can be done. The people are struggling to fight for their freedom, but the government has become much too powerful. Every time they try to overthrow the government and replace it, their efforts fall short. There is almost no use in sending supplies because the government will confiscate them, even if the supplies are going towards a good cause, such as funding hospitals or helping the poor. Venezuela needs help. The people need support from other governments and large entities. If nothing is done to help soon, the country could collapse. No one knows very much about Venezuela, but it's time everyone gets informed.