The "Crimes of Grindelwald" Trailer Almost Makes Up For My Missing Hogwarts Letter

When the teaser appeared on my twitter timeline this week, I was the least to say unprepared and filled with anticipation.

96
Flickr

There are only three movie teaser trailers that have surprised me to the point of pure excitement in my entire life. The first one being the ‘The Last Jedi’ trailer which caught me at such an unprepared moment, the ‘Incredibles 2’ trailer which I thought would never come, and the teaser that just came out this week, ‘Fantastic Beasts: The Crime of Grindelwald’.

I truly believed that the ‘Fantastic Beasts’ movie would be a stand-alone movie and never in a million years thought that a sequel was going along with it. When the teaser appeared on my twitter timeline this week, I was the least to say unprepared and filled with anticipation. So in the spirit of magic and the wizarding world, I thought what better idea than spend every waking moment over-analyzing the teaser until the official trailer comes out.

The trailer starts out in a way better than no other- a view of our favorite place, Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. White clouds and curious eyes follow several people from the Ministry of Magic as they make their way to a certain professors’ study. Through conversation, it’s revealed that the professor is none other than our favorite man, Albus Dumbledore, young and handsome of course. He denies allegations made against him that he’s helping aide Newt Scamander, the protagonist of the this and the last ‘Fantastic Beasts’ movie, who’s currently in Paris against the Ministries wishes.

Many scenes in the trailer teaser show that a battle is brewing between the ‘good’ and the ‘darkness’ of magic. Grindelwald, a masked villain and revealed antagonist in this movie, is very much like Lord Voldemort in terms of ambitions and goals. Seeming to want some power reign or change in government, wizards and witches are in for a battle of the century. Because this movie takes place during the mid-1900’s, it’s easy to speculate that maybe this is the cause of World War 2 for the wizarding world.

The plot of this movie seems like nothing new. Movies that battle the ‘good’ and ‘bad’ are overdone and cliché, but with a magical aspect and elements of Harry Potter it may surprise me more than I think. The main characters have those whimsical elements that many are used too and aren’t filler characters which prove their relevancy throughout the teaser, and the movie carries the same action and humor that the prequel holds as well.

Am I going to see the ‘Curse of Grindelwald’? Absolutely. Anything that has to do with J.K Rowling’s literary works is going to steal all my money no matter if I like it or not.

The Wizarding World has been a staple of popular culture for decades. Even though the Harry Potter franchise ended with ‘The Deathly Hollows’ in 2011, everyone still talks about it. The theme park in Orlando, Florida, King’s Cross station in London, the magic of witches and wizards still fills the air. That’s why the excitement hasn’t changed around this teaser. Harry Potter sells, no matter how much or little it actually has to do with it.

A link to the trailer teaser if you haven't seen it already: