Being The Crazy Girlfriend

Being The Crazy Girlfriend

You can be a loyal, loving girlfriend while giving your significant other space.
73

We've all seen it on social media. You log into your facebook and you see posts about the "crazy girlfriend". I've always looked past these posts, never giving them much thought. Then one day I stumbled across this picture one day while I was mindlessly scrolling through Facebook and it really brought the issue to my attention: When did crazy become desirable? I saw this picture online with hundreds of comments of people tagging their friends and saying "Yup, I'm 3" or "Yeah, I'm crazy" but why? Why out of all the things in life, do females now associate or even aspire to be "crazy".

The dictionary defines crazy as "mentally deranged, especially as manifested in a wild or aggressive way". Synonyms include "insane" "psycho" "demented" and "mental". All of these have negative connotations and are borderline derogatory when used to describe yourself.

Now, I personally have never been one to proclaim myself as a feminist. I'm all for equal rights and all but I've never been one to really talk about issues and often avoid conversations with any sort of political context just to avoid confrontation. However, when it comes to this topic I feel like women are really setting themselves back in terms of gaining the respect they desire.

This also ties into the idea of the idea that we have to stop glorifying mental illness. There is nothing attractive or desirable about mental illness. It is called an illness for a reason. These are things that people struggle day in and day out to cope with for their entire life. It's not a trend because you want to call yourself "bipolar" because you're just emotionally unstable.

Now this article is not aimed at those who actually have these mental illnesses

I think where it has gone wrong was that females equate being crazy with being loyal, which is not the case at all. You can be a loyal, loving girlfriend while giving your significant other space.

So please stop stalking your boyfriends IG, stop stalking whos pictures he likes. Stop telling him who he can and can not hang out with. A relationship is meant to be something where you guys can both venture out and grow as people while still sharing a love for one another.

For some more info on having a healthy relationship, check out www.loveisrespect.org