The Ultimate Coronavirus Quarantine Survival Kit

The Coronavirus Survival Kit You Need To Have Ready, Just In Case Your City Really Does Shut Down

It's better to be over-prepared than stuck without toilet paper.

2824
Gilmore Girls / Warner Bros

Welcome to 2020, where we've been put through the wringer and it's only March. The latest "oh no, the end times are near" threat we're facing? The coronavirus, or COVID-19 if you're being technical. As the virus has rapidly spread throughout the world, most recently the United States, city officials and businesses alike are looking for a game plan. Is quarantine the answer? How do we ride this exaggerated flu out?

One thing is for certain — public panic is growing stronger every day and with it, the Trader Joe's line gets longer. People are stocking up for the worst-case scenario and honestly, they have a point. It's better to be overly prepared than have no toilet paper on day three of a two-week quarantine.

1. Fluids

Like any good apocalypse, you want to make sure you can stay hydrated. Cases of water, Gatorade (keep those electrolytes up!), and extra coffee and tea are never bad things to have on hand. They are all things you'll use naturally, so there's no harm in using that extra shelf in the garage as a little hydration station.

2. Toiletries

My worst nightmare? Being stuck in my house with bad hygiene. Sure the end is near, but that does not mean we have to abandon everything we know to be true! While you may already have a two-week supply of basic toiletries, now is a great opportunity to take inventory.

Toilet paper, hand soap, over-the-counter medications, Advil, toothpaste, and shampoo are all things to check-in on the quantity of. But hey, why stop there? Feminine products, lotion, bars of soap, first aid supplies, and multi-vitamins are all things you'll probably find yourself needing.

3. Cleaning supplies

Just because you're not letting outside germs in doesn't mean you lose the ability to create germs yourself. Keeping that space clean while you're stuck on the couch is crucial to keeping you healthy! Clorox wipes, air fresheners, laundry detergent, garbage bags, and paper towels are all supplies you may find yourself looking for when you're going a little stir crazy. What better time to deep clean the house though?

4. Food

Arguably the most important category to stock up on, you have got to eat! Even if your city is entirely shut down, grocery stores are sure to see an uptick in bulk purchasing over the course of the next couple of weeks. Canned goods like beans, soups, fruit, and vegetables last practically forever. Frozen fruits, vegetables, and proteins are also great options to have on hand. Lastly, stock up on those "camping snacks" as my grandfather would call them — granola bars, pretzels, trail mix, dried fruits, and a heck of a lot of peanut butter.

5. Entertainment

OK, worst case is that you're stuck in your house for longer than you'd like to be. While you're still out and about, it may be a good idea to grab another board game, a deck of cards, that Settlers of Catan extension, a notebook, or some workbooks. Or yarn! Quarantine is a great opportunity to learn how to knit, and your friends will be thrilled with their new hats when you're reunited! I'm kidding — stick to the board games.

6. Extras

What else do you have to think about? Does your dog have a two-week supply of food as well? Are any houseplants in need of soil refreshers? Are all your electronic chargers working? Is a new cozy blanket going to bring you extra comfort? Think about the things you need on a weekly basis and add them to your list.

I know a full home inventory can seem a little daunting, but don't let a list overwhelm your life! Just stock up on the necessities, grab that really fun margarita set to lighten the mood, and take on COVID-19 with positive enthusiasm.