Cornell University: A Unique College Experience

1530

From the academics, to the social scene, Cornell university offers an experience unlike any other.

Choosing a college can be stressful and chaotic, but once you find your second home for the next four years, you will truly have the best four years of your life. In reflecting on my first year at Cornell University (after transferring at the end of my freshman year), I realized that there are so many things that make me see Cornell as my true, second home. The academic and social aspects which Cornell offer are more than diverse, and the experiences one can take away from Cornell are both special and memorable; take a look below to see what makes Cornell a unique and unforgettable college experience! 

1. Academic diversity. Following Ezra Cornell’s motto, “any person, any study”, Cornell is home to a wide variety of classes and majors that students can choose from. Unlike most schools, Cornell offers extremely unique classes that will not only entertain you for a semester, but simultaneously fill requirements. For example, if you’re looking to fill the physical education requirement, your options include water-skiing and scuba diving. While some people may struggle to find a science class to meet graduation requirements (that would be me…I’m sorry, but I just don’t think it’s necessary that I know what type of rocks my heels are stepping on when I’m walking to a mixer), there are unique options like “Magical Mushrooms, Mischievous Molds” to help get you through. These are just some of many classes that can help make Cornell a standout and enjoyable college experience. 

2. Work hard, play hard. College is all about setting yourself up for the future, all while maintaining a good balance socially and academically. Having seen (and experienced) how other schools don’t always have the best balance, I can truly say, that Cornell students successfully follow the mantra, “work hard, play hard”. You will consistently see students in the library until 10pm every night, only to rush home and get ready for a night out. For every essay you write and prelim you take, there is a fishbowl Wednesday to help keep you sane. Don’t get me wrong, every student at Cornell loves to learn, but we love dollar pints just as much.

3. Slope Day.  Slope day is like Christmas, but with a few minor adjustments. Picture this: replace the matching onesies your whole family is wearing, with students wearing matching tanks covered in Greek letters. Next replace the tree, with a massive stage on the slope. Lastly, replace all those gifts wrapped in boxes, with drinks wrapped in your hand. That, is slope day. It is one of the best days each year at Cornell, and a true, distinct experience. Each year, Cornell brings a top artist to campus, and throws an amazing concert. Slope day is one of those events that students at Cornell will always look back on when reflecting on their college experience. 

4. Collegetown. CTP. Level b. CTB. Pixel. Ruloffs. The list of things to do in college town are endless. Collegetown is a major reason that Cornell University is a standout from other schools. No matter what day of the week, or season of the year, Collegetown is always swarming with college students both day and night. For students, it serves as a place to escape the stress of school, hang out with friends, and make memories that you can someday reflect on. 

These are just some of many amazing things that contribute to the unique college experience at Cornell. Cornell University is truly unlike any other school – and it has outstanding academics, top U.S rankings, and thousands of past and present student experiences to prove it. 

P.S. I included some pics from my own, epic first slope day!