From A Cop's Daughter

From A Cop's Daughter

This is an inside perspective on what's it's like to have a family member be apart of Law Enforcement.

20
From A Cop's Daughter
tumblr

Being the daughter of a police officer is really something special. Not only do I get the media's portrayal on the police, I get an inside look as well.

My father is a police officer, and I could not be prouder to say so. He leaves his family every night in order to save strangers. How cool is that? My dad is like Superman.

Having a cop as a father is definitely scary. He voluntarily risks his own life in order to help put away the bad guys that wander our neighborhoods.

My dad is a hero in my eyes, but an enemy in the eyes of some other people.

They believe that since my dad is a cop, he is automatically a bad person. Since he has the power to arrest an individual, he's a bad man. Since he legally can carry a weapon, he's dangerous to be around. Oh, how wrong those people are.

I am not saying that all cops are wonderful and use their authoritative powers for the greater good, but every officer has been labeled in a way that makes them out to be the bad guys in almost every situation. Cops do not want to HURT people, they want to STOP the people that can cause harm. The media has begun to portray law enforcement as the ones we should be afraid of when in reality, we are getting little clips of what is actually going on. Since we are all so influenced by what the media has to say, we automatically think they are correct, when they couldn't be further from the truth.

Police officers are the ones who can protect us. Of course, people are thinking, "who needs them, I can protect myself." If that is the case, who are you gonna call when your house was broken into while you were away? Who are you gonna call when your toddler goes missing from the community park because you looked away from them just for a second? Who are you gonna call when your teenager is being cyber-bullied? What will you do when everything is out of your control? Exactly... You'll want help. What's better than getting help from those who are trained to HELP you?

Being a police officer's daughter has made me realize just how screwed up this world has become. Individuals have a habit of needing to blame others, so why not blame officers? Being a police officer's daughter has made see both the inside and outside perspectives on law enforcement. Again, not all officers have good intentions. But that doesn't mean every officer has bad ones. My dad doesn't and I'm sick of him being labeled as something he's not.

For those who have differing opinions, I am sorry for whatever happened that made you think that way. But if your opinion comes solely from what you've seen on your television or have heard on your radio, then shame on you. Come on people, stick up for our uniformed men. Stick up for those who risk their lives to help us. Stick up for our law enforcement. BLEED BLUE.