9 Of The Most Kickass Women In The Marvel Universe

They'd probably do a great job of running the world.

129
Marvel Studios

Marvel's newest blockbuster superhero movie, "Black Panther," was just released last month and it contained a whole bunch of kickass warrior women as the military group Dora Milaje. While this isn't the first time we've seen some awesome ladies rocking up on the big screen in Marvel movies, this marks the first time since "Wonder Woman" that we've seen a whole army of warrior women (which was, incidentally, the first time in a really long time that a blockbuster movie has contained so many females in combat). While "Wonder Woman" really was wonderful, however, this is about Marvel's most awesome ladies, and Diana of Themyscira is sadly not a Marvel character. With that being said, here are nine of the MCU's coolest and most marvelous (hah, see what I did there?) women.

1. Peggy Carter

Not to be biased, but Peggy Carter was my OG favorite, Marvel Lady. She was a minor character in the source comics, but became a major player in one movie, had minor roles in two others and got her own spin-off TV show named after her, as well as appearing in "Agents of Shield." Peggy may be a fashionable British woman, but she is also no-nonsense and very intelligent. I only wish that her spin-off TV series had lasted longer. Peggy is played by Hayley Atwell.

2. Wanda Maximoff

Arguably the most powerful hero in the MCU, Wanda Maximoff is better known as the Scarlet Witch. Firstly, what a kick-ass name that is! Based off of names alone, I'd love to be Scarlet Witch. Furthermore, Wanda has gone through a lot in the comics — she grew up in a lab as one of the experiments, with only her brother for company, who, as you might remember, she lost not long after finally escaping the scientists who raised her. She deserves love and support (which the MCU is hinting might happen between her and Vision sometime soon, but we'll see). Wanda is portrayed by Elizabeth Olsen.

3. Shuri

In the light of Marvel's newest blockbuster "Black Panther," the face of technology in the MCU has changed drastically. Where we used to have embittered, sarcastic, genius-billionaire-playboy-philanthropist Tony Stark, we now have wonderful, joyous, "I'm only sixteen and I run the science division for the most technologically advanced society on the planet" Shuri. She's a fiery teenage girl who is passionate about science and likes to play tricks on her brother. What else do you need to know about her in order to love her? That's right. Nothing. Shuri is portrayed by Letitia Wright.

4. Okoye

Continuing on into the wonderful women of Wakanda, we meet Okoye. She is the general of the Wakandan army, and the leader of their elite group of (all-female!) soldiers, the Dora Milaje. Although she is loyal to the throne and whoever sits in it, she clearly cares for T'Challa and his immediate family. The moment she switched sides and called her forces to attack her own partner W'Kabi's forces, who were attacking T'Challa, was one of the best moments of the movie. (Spoilers, sorry.) Okoye is portrayed by Danai Gurira.

5. Natasha Romanov

Black Widow, the OG badass woman of the MCU. From her first appearance as an undercover spy working as Tony Stark's assistant, to revealing all of SHIELD's secrets on the dark web in the wake of HYDRA and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," fans of Natasha Romanov have been rallying for a Black Widow movie for years. There have been campaigns in the past to get her placed on more Avengers merchandise, as well, because she was often left off toys and such as the only woman in the group.

Although she will not be the first woman to have a solo film in the MCU, that honor goes to our next guest, there have been rumors circulating that a Black Widow origin film is in the works and will be released in the next phase of Marvel movies. Natasha is portrayed by Scarlett Johansson.

6. Carol Danvers

Her movie isn't out yet, but Carol Danvers still deserves recognition. Played by Brie Larson, Captain Marvel will be the first female-led Marvel solo film since the conception of the cinematic universe. Her story, of being part of a shape-shifting alien race called the "Skrull," will also open up a lot of possibilities for the future of the universe. Her movie is also the first to be set in a time before present day, taking place in the nineties. (I also just want to point out that in the current comics, Carol rocks a pixie cut and that's awesome.)

7. Claire Temple

Now we've moved into Marvel's television series. Claire Temple, played by Rosario Dawson, originally appears in the first season of Marvel's "Daredevil" on Netflix. She continues to appear throughout all of the Netflix Marvel shows, including as a love interest for both Matthew Murdock and Luke Cage. She's a no-nonsense capable woman who works as a nurse until some superhero nonsense she's dragged into goes down at her work and she quits due to ethical disputes. She is awesome and I love her.

8. Daisy Johnson

Daisy, originally known as Skye, is a character from "Agents of SHIELD." I'm not caught up with this show, but her character (played by Chloe Bennet) and Melinda Mae (played by Ming-Na Wen) were my favorites. Daisy is an Inhuman or a regular human with a specific genetic mutation due to alien ancestry that develops a superpower upon exposure to a certain object or substance. Daisy develops the power to control seismic events and takes up the mantle of Quake. She's also a genius hacker, did I mention that?

9. Jessica Jones

"Jessica Jones" is, in my humble opinion, the best of the Marvel Netflix shows. Jessica Jones is a hardened, sarcastic alcoholic of a woman who best deals with her dark past by forgetting about it. She's a private investigator with hidden strength (literally she has super strength and can jump so high it looks like she's flying) but is very careful about letting people into her life. The only person she trusts is her best friend Trish and she will go the distance to protect her and others she cares about. She's portrayed by Krysten Ritter.

These ladies may all be superheroes, but they're not the only ones. Give the awesome women in your life some appreciation, because they deserve it.