You Can't Be Involved In Christian Community Without Feeling Conviction
Christianity

Christian community is supposed to lift us up but it is also supposed to challenge us to be better.

486

Conviction is the result of a lack of confidence or certitude in something that is a part of our lives. Conviction will make you feel guilty because it becomes evident to you that something isn't right in your life. So why would I want to feel convicted when I'm coming into a Christian community? Aren't Christians supposed to love unconditionally? Yes, they are, but if you allow God to search your heart, it is impossible to be in his presence and not feel conviction.

Matthew 18:20 says that, "Where two or more are gathered in His name, He is there with them." That means that when you are in a Christian community the presence of the Lord is evident.

So I have to answer this question, why would I want to feel convicted around a group of people that are supposed to be lifting me up. It's because with conviction comes growth. Ultimately I want to become more like God every day, and to do that I have to change the things in my life that are not in line with His commandments. At first, the feeling of conviction is difficult, you feel so guilty for what you've done, and you can't figure out how to ever make it right.

The good news is that once we feel convicted the next step is repentance. Acts 3:19 says, "Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away." When we repent, we acknowledge our wrongdoings before God, and He will take our guilt away. It will feel as though a weight has been lifted off of you and you will feel an overwhelming sense of peace.

It's very easy to isolate yourself so that you don't feel guilty. But we can't hide from God because He relentlessly pursues us every single day. He will leave the ninety-nine and go after the one who is lost. Sometimes we feel conviction when we allow God to search our hearts. But I also have amazing Christian friends who will tell me when they see something isn't right in my life. That's what's so great about Christian community. You have friends who will lift you up and support you, but they are also willing to challenge you.

Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." A Christian community is supposed to lift us up, but it is also supposed to challenge us to be better. That's why the Christian community comes with conviction. Conviction ultimately makes us more like Christ, and this is the goal of the Christian life.