Why Multicultural Greeks Stand Out

Why Multicultural Greeks Stand Out

Giving Multicultural Greeks a fair shake

389
Why Multicultural Greeks Stand Out

The stigma seems to never go away for students affiliated to Greek organizations, and rightfully so, as they decide to do racist chants while posting them on social media, hazing their pledges, and of course, partying and drinking. This is true for both fraternities and sororities.

Although Greeks like having fun, as do the rest of students on campus, they must be aware that they no longer represent themselves - they are part of something bigger - and their behavior shines a negative light on the Greek community. Unfortunately, it's the negative actions that are talked about; the good, such as, fundraising for philanthropies, community service, and providing a support system to brothers and sisters goes unnoticed.

"Traditional" or "Mainstream" Greeks are the most commonly known on-campus, but for those unaware of Greek Life, traditional/mainstream Greeks refer to the organizations that have been around for over one-hundred years. These organizations were founded by Caucasian males and females. But what about Multicultural Greeks organizations? Despite not being as well known by the general public, they function in a similar way to mainstream Greeks. They all have a creed, values and goals, and give back to their communities.

Here are some key differences that set Multicultural Greeks apart:

• secretive process
  • Step, Stroll, and Chant
  • probate (unveiling of new members)
  • many do not have fraternity/sorority houses
  • Multicultural Fraternities and Sororities encompass people of all race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and age
  • primarily founded to serve people of the same ethnic background (Latino(a), African American's, Pacific Islander...etc).

Stepping is a form of dance that incorporates the whole body to create complex rhythmic sounds with footsteps, hand-claps, and spoken words (typically having to do with their organization). Strolling, on the other hand, is a synchronized dance usually performed at a probate or a step & stroll competition. Chanting is a form to express your passion for your organization wherein you and your brothers or sisters have a predetermined “chant” about your organization.

Regardless of Multicultural Greek organizations being smaller in numbers in comparison to mainstream Greeks, the love and support of each brother and sister is infinite. If you’re a college student who is not Greek affiliated, but interested in learning more, make sure not to count out the multicultural organizations – you’d be surprised just how well you fit in.