Why You Really Should Consider Spending the "Day In Bed"

A Great Life Lesson from Morrissey

1466
The Daily Beast

I don’t know why I’m writing this because this song needs no interpreting. It’s pretty simple. But still, I wanted to share it. I love the lyrics. And I know I’m not the only one who does (or might).

Morrissey’s second-most-recent single, “Spent the Day in Bed” is about—well—spending the day in bed. And forgetting the outside world and all its problems. We might look at this and think this song is promoting being a hermit or giving up, but actually, the lyrics are pretty brilliant since there is only one way to separate yourself from this hectic, crazy world, and that is to, at times, avoid it.

Let’s take a look at the lyrics:

“Spent the day in bed

Very happy I did, yes,

I spent the day in bed

As the workers stay enslaved

I spent the day in bed

I’m not my type, but

I love my bed”

Pause here to note Morrissey’s always-hilarious dark humor ("I’m not my type”). But as usual, despite the irony and dark humor, this song’s message is really serious:

“And I recommend that you

Stop watching the news

Because the news contrives to frighten you

To make you feel small and alone

To make you feel that your mind isn’t your own”

Truer words were never spoken! This is exactly what the news does. An article on Consequences of Sound says that Morrissey “rails against fake news” in this song, but I beg to differ. Morrissey rails against all news. Because as much as the media exists to bring us important information, it also gets its money and views/likes/etc. from hyping things up—intriguing people to the point of scaring them, so that they feel they need to rely on the news. It’s a vicious cycle.

I stopped watching the news, and I am so much happier. I’m not kidding. I still find politics interesting, I still find world events interesting, but life is so much more than news. I can serve people and address world issues without watching the news.

“I spent the day in bed

It’s a consolation

When all my dreams

Are perfectly legal

In sheets for which I paid

I am now laid

And I recommend to all of my friends that they

Stop watching the news

To make you feel small and alone

Here’s another reason to spend the day in bed: you can daydream all you like, and no one’s there to tell you, “That’s not possible,” or, “You’re silly,” or “That’s not how real life works.” You are free, with only yourself and God as companions. And God is love, and personal—dare I say the exact opposite of the news?

But I digress. Notice how the news makes you “feel small and alone.” Obviously Morrissey is opposed to this, which implies that he is pro-community and friendships. And having someone tell you “You’re not alone” or “I’ve got your back” is one of the most comforting things you can hear. Of course, while you’re spending the day in bed you may not be inclined to call a friend, but you might. Perhaps tomorrow you can call a friend. I don’t say this to preach; I often resist doing this, but when I do I’m always glad I did. It really does get you out of our own (depressing) head.

To continue:

“Oh time, do as I wish

Time, do as I wish

Oh time, do as I wish

Time, do as I wish . . .”

This can be read as “This is my time to do as I wish” or as a command: “Time, do as I wish!” Of course none of us has control of time, but perhaps this is Morrissey’s way of expressing his wish to slow down time. I often wish this. Sometimes, lying in bed really does make time seem to slow down.

“I spent the day in bed

You can pleasure yourself

But I spent the day in bed

Pillows like pillars

Life ends in death

So there’s nothing wrong with

Being good to yourself

Be good to yourself for once”

I love this verse. Morrissey can’t help but mention death, but for those of us similarly inclined it’s only a good, solid reminder that nothing here is permanent and suffering will soon be over. And as a result (and on a much happier note), be good to yourself! This is as cheery as Morrissey gets, and it’s pretty surprising and wonderful. So many of us forget to care for ourselves in this dreary world. But in order to make any kind of positive impact on the world, we have to be in good health—mentally and physically (as much as possible). So be good to yourself. Thank you for this message, Morrissey.

“And no bus, no boss, no rain, no train

No bus, no boss, no rain, no train

No bus, no boss, no rain, no train

No emasculation, no castration

No highway, freeway, motorway

No buss, no boss, no rain, no train

(Line repeats)”

This is a sigh of relief from not having to deal with chaotic, post-modern life. It’s also quite funny, in that Morrissey equates this lifestyle with being both castrated and emasculated. That’s pretty harsh, but also humorous. By not having to engage in this frenetic non-stop world, Morrissey can be himself—a man. And we all can be our real selves, not having to hide behind facades or respond in “appropriate” ways the world promotes.

This song makes me want to spend a day (or several) in bed.

And on those days when I want to spend the day in bed but can’t, I remember this song and relax a bit, knowing that I don’t have to rush around quite as much as I think I need to. Life is not worth it, and this postmodern, fast-paced world is not real life. Real life is slowing down and reflecting and taking action as needed. Real life is, sometimes, spending the day in bed.