Connecting In A New City: Making Friends Post-College

Swipe right on your next BFF.

52
Indie Wire

Relocating to a new city post-college and finding new friends, can be a daunting and terrifying experience at any age. Despite the anxious emotions it may stir up, it is a chance to challenge yourself and be pushed out of your comfort zone while connecting with new people. Mastering making friends in a new city opens doors to trying new things in addition to forming a new group of go-to-friends. As we grow, so does our interests, so this is an opportunity to find people that match with our ever evolving leisure pursuits.

Here are some of the ways that I made new friends when I moved (and they guarantee less nights of sitting on your couch, suffering from FOMO and FaceTiming your Dad):

1. Start a Meetup Group

If you haven't heard of Meetup before, it is an app that allows you to join or create a group based on your interests. The groups are as unique and interesting as the members, therefore allowing you to find a group of friends similar to yourself. The Meetups are either weekly, biweekly or monthly, allowing you time to set it into your schedule.

The great part about Meetup is that if you aren't able to find a group that fits your interests, you can create it. I couldn't find a book and brunch club for women in their 20s, so I put one together and we now meet once a month. It has been a cool way to make friends who like to spend their free time a similar way. All of the members may share their love of books and brunch, but we all come from a variety of different careers and places. This makes our group diverse and full of conversation.

2. Volunteer

There are a plethora of volunteer opportunities no matter where you live, and you can do nearly anything as volunteer work. I usually will look up different organizations and groups in my community that I might want to work with, and then contact them directly. There are also websites like VolunteerMatch, that help you to look up the cause you want to support and work with. Volunteering is a great way to meet down-to-earth and genuine people, all while giving back.

2. Swipe right on your next BFF.

Bumble is a dating app that also has a feature where users can connect with friends in their area. You create a bio, add pictures, and then start swiping. Just like the dating portion, you can set the distance you are willing to search for friends. It is an easy and efficient way to connect with different people. I have found that many of the users on there are really specific as to what they are looking for, such as a friend to go to Friday night yoga with or just someone to meet after work for happy hour on Mondays. I have made friends who I meet up with to do just that specific activity, and that is our special thing we always do together. I have found many great workout partners on Bumble!

3. Go Solo

Have you always wanted to try a photography class at your local library, but never before had friends to go with? Going to classes and events alone is a great way to grow as an individual, with the special bonus of meeting new people. Going solo also makes you look more approachable, and can make it easier for someone to strike up a conversation. My yoga studio recently had a writing workshop that I decided to attend by myself. It was a move that took me out of my comfort zone, and pushed me to interact with new people. I had a great time, and I was able to make friends that might want to try a similar class with me again in the future.

4. Take to Facebook

Facebook not only is the perfect place to spread the word on your feed about your move, but there are tons of great groups that you can join that are specific to the community that you live in. I really enjoy a podcast called "My Favorite Murder" (shoutout to all the other murderinos out there!), and I have been able to join and interact with other members in my area who share an interest in cats and true-crime podcasts.

Many of these groups function both online and in-person, as they plan places to meet up at and events to attend together. Also, like I mentioned before, if you don't see a group out there that fits your interests, start it! Most likely there are a bunch of people who want that same group to exist, and Facebook groups is the way to do it.