Concert Fashion: The Never Ending Debate

"To wear or not to wear. Does it really matter?"-Alex

126

Since the beginning of time (or so it seems), there has been a long-standing debate over whether it's acceptable to wear the headliner band's merch to their own show (we will call it WABTTG- Wear a band's merch to their gig). One side says: yes wearing the band's merch to their concert is perfectly fine. Meanwhile, the other side says otherwise.

Joseph Earp is a writer for Junkee and in June of 2017, took a closer look into the controversy that has music fans and concert-goers divided. In his article 'Is It Acceptable To Wear A Band's Merch To Their Show? A Serious Investigation' Earp dissects both sides of the (what feels like) never ending debate.

Those Who Are Opposed To WABMTTG

media2.giphy.com

As if it wasn't complicated to keep up with already, the argument has become even further divided into whether or not you wear the merch on your way to the show or wearing your merch at the show after buying it when you get there.

To those who are against WABMTTG, it doesn't matter if you wear a shirt from a previous show OR if you bought it at the venue, either way, it's considered a faux pas. It's considered tacky and lame. The only exception to this rule is if you're a small child or parent chaperoning, at which point it doesn't matter.

"Damn, damn, damn opposed. I don't even like wearing shirts of bands that are similar or on the same label or whatever...It's unbearably lame. If you're not a child or a parent, you shouldn't be doing it. I even find listening to the artist you're going to see on the way there to be lame. Like, have a bit of subtlety about yourself."

-David James Young

Those Who Are For WABMTTG

media2.giphy.com

Those who are in support of WBMATTG feel that their opponents are trying to project a certain image, almost as if they're trying to make an overreaching point about the attire. People who wear band merch of the headliner's show don't care what they're wearing. It doesn't matter whether an unwritten rule exists, at the end of the day they want to show the band support and appreciation.

For those who are in the band, it's the receiving of that love and support.

"I used to [WABMTTG] pretty often. Then my friends started teasing me for it because it's apparently a faux pas or whatever, so I do it less now because I'm very self-conscious. But I still like to do it because I love it as a performer when I'm playing and I can see people wearing my merch: it makes me feel really nice and like I have friends in the audience. It's affirming as a musician, so I assume that other musicians would feel the same way."

- Rachel Maria Cox

Some even think being against it makes you even lamer.

"Being against [WABMTTG] is probably just about trying really hard to be that cool guy at a gig who listens to bands you don't know. That is probably lamer. Just be yourself, wear the comfortable shirt and follow your dreams."

-Remy Phillips

Is This Argument Still Valid?

media3.giphy.com

I started thinking about whether or not this disagreement was still relevant in today's society as opposed to 20 years ago. Personally, I believe that it shouldn't matter what you're wearing to a concert. As long as you're comfortable and don't mind being covered in sweat, you're fine.

Band merch isn't cheap. A T-shirt can cost anywhere between $25-$40 depending on the style and band. If I'm going to pay that much for a shirt only to NOT wear it at a gig, not only does it defeat the whole purpose of buying it, to begin with, but it's also a waste of money.

Wearing other band merch can start a conversation with another fellow *insert band here* fan. It opens up the opportunity to create a connection and make a new friend. Most of the friends I have and talk to are through going to concerts and having similar interests.

I wanted to hear what other people had to say, so I asked fans in different fanbases whether they thought it was appropriate to WABMTTG or if it was a sign of disrespect.

"I think it's absolutely appropriate to wear it. I mean, why wouldn't it? You bought the merch to support the band, so why not? I mean, you go to the shows and you buy their merch there too so, in my opinion, you're just showing your support and love for them."

-Sam S.

"I hate the whole debate. Wear whatever you want to wear to a show. The band probably doesn't care. I mean, hell, I wore a State Champs shirt to Warped Tour, met the band, and they told me they loved my shirt. Do what you want."

-Tyler

"I usually wear merch of a band that's playing (either headliner or supports doesn't matter) unless I don't have anything. Then I wear merch of a band that's associated with one that's playing. But that's just me. You should be allowed to wear whatever you want (unless it spreads hate towards someone (i.e anti-gay slogans etc.).

I think it's nice for bands to see someone wear their merch (especially when they're not that well known yet)"

-Ally

"If I have merch of the band, I wear it. I think it is a way to show appreciation and support for what the band is doing, etc. However, I think people should be allowed to wear whatever they feel comfortable in or like, because they go to the concerts to enjoy themselves and not to please others."

-Veronika

The overall consensus was that people should be able to wear whatever they want to concerts as long as it's not hateful or offensive to others

*Note* some responses have been edited for length.