Complaining About Millennials Doesn't Make You Smart

I'm sorry for those of you who watched this video.

47
Alexis Bloomer

There’s a video circulating around the web in which a millennial takes it upon herself to apologize for all the terrible behaviors that millennials display. If you have read my article, "Dear Young People, Shut the F*** Up" it may appear as if I agree with such claims. I will stick by what that article says, as my point is that we, as young people, need to listen more, and pay more attention to what we do and say. However, contrary to popular belief, our generation is not terrible. It’s actually in the process of being one of the most helpful, inclusive generations in quite some time.

As a matter of fact, the young woman in this video is exactly the kind of young person who my "Dear Young People" article was directed at. Complaining about millennials is not original, nor is it intelligent. Quite frankly, if you’re a millennial complaining about millennials, then you are a part of the supposed issue, and instead of sitting in your car and making a video about it, why don’t you try to change some of what you’re complaining about?

The woman in the video appears to present herself well. She has nice makeup on and her hair is done nicely. She clearly did a better job than her fellow millennials, because instead of posting an uneducated, opinionated status, she posted an uneducated, opinionated video. For this extra amount of effort, I will give her a gold star, because I’m sure that she thinks she deserves one, as she goes on to talk about how entitled millennials are.

Speaking of how entitled we are, and how we want free education but “aren’t willing to work for it,” did you know that the Millennial generation is on track to becoming the most educated generation in American history? The baby boomers still have us beat, but that’s because people born after 1993 are not old enough to graduate yet, whereas all baby boomers have obviously surpassed that age mark. Speaking of which, did you know the cost of college tuition has risen at least 260 percent since 1980? So basically, even though more of us are going to college, and even though we are paying 260 percent more than the baby boomers, and will probably be paying off our student loan debt until we are no longer breathing, we are somehow lazy and entitled. Makes sense.

Oh, and we are oh so lazy, and “step on the flag instead of stepping up to volunteer.” Ma’am, please type into Google “millennials and volunteering” before you go running your mouth. Perhaps you need to stop listening to what older people are saying and do your own research. 84 percent of millennials surveyed made charitable donations in 2014, and that is just one example of the altruism that our generation possesses. On a college campus, many organizations, including Greek Life, appeal to young people due to their dedication to service. A sorority on Valpo’s campus recently raised $10,000 for the Make a Wish Foundation. How lazy and selfish those women must have been to raise that much money for a child in need!

Now, when she talks about the music that millennials listen to, I can admit, there is some raunchy mainstream music. There is a considerable amount of objectification and drug usage mentioned in these songs, yes. But in spite of the flaunting of drug usage in the music industry, with the exception of painkillers, the baby boomer generation used far more drugs than the millennial generation. Plus, when Elvis Presley was famous, he was considered to be “vulgar” and “animalistic”. Every generation has something new that seems edgy, which in forty years probably won’t seem as if it is that controversial. Oh, and God forbid that we say swear words! Yes, our cursing is certainly a huge issue that makes our generation worse than any other. The crime rate has plummeted, as well as the rate of teen births. But clearly, our usage of vulgar language is the largest issue at hand. And where did we learn those swear words from? Were they uncovered to us by some sort of millennial activism? Probably.

To all of the millennials victimized by this woman, and by our “elders” who don’t do their research, I’m sorry. Keep rocking it, Millennial Generation, because we have already changed America, and we can only keep making it better from here.