Business Classes Are Important For Communications Majors, Too

It may not be obvious, but at the end of the day the choice is between career advancement, or career stagnation.

7

I just started my graduate career in public relations and advertising, pursuing a master's at DePaul University's College of Communication. After graduating from DePaul last March, I took time off to intern at a non-profit agency. While this role gave me a lot of responsibility – I was the only person running social media and marketing strategy, execution, and evaluation – these weren't the only skills I needed to be successful. Sure, these foundations of public relations and advertising are essential to creating impactful brands and building audiences, but there's more to know.

I got into the communications field because I didn't want to deal with math in any way, shape or form. Low and behold, it has become the most important thing I will need to advance my career.

Remember when you asked yourself, why am I learning math if I'm never going to use it the future? Well here's your answer: to further your career.

Now I'm not talking about calculus and trigonometry, but a basic understanding of numbers and how they reflect on the business or industry in which your work is based is essential.

Here are six number of other reasons you should consider taking a business class while completing your communications degree, no matter what specialization you choose.

1. Increased job opportunities to advance your career

The more you know about business, the more likely it is that you will end up moving up the corporate ladder faster.

2. Knowing business means knowing how the world works

Let's be honest, we live in a capitalist society, so everything revolves around money. Knowing about business will give you a broader picture of how the world works as a whole.

3. Business knowledge will improve your communications efforts

If you know about the ins and outs of your specific industry, you'll be better prepared to answer questions and write compelling stories that tell the whole story.

4. Communications go hand-in-hand with the bottom line

Every company, brand or organization is always communicating, no matter what they do. Therefore, it's important to know how every communications effort affects business goals.

5. You will be a leader

You'll be invited to lead discussions and sit-in on meetings and inform the C-Suite about how communications will positively impact the bottom line while achieving it's intended goals.

6. You will be of greater value

If you know how business works, then you'll be able to articulate your communications efforts in a way that the C-Suite understands. They speak your language so you should learn to speak their language.

So take it from me, it'll be worth it in the long run. I'd rather do something positive and proactive to help me in the future than look back and regret not taking the initiative.