how to keep up with the bible

6 ways to stay committed to reading the word

The best ways to make a habit of reading your Bible consistently.

52

1. Read in a group.

Doing things in groups always seems to help. You can keep each other accountable by reminding each other to stay on track and committed. You can also set up specific times to meet up and read together or even just talk to a friend or family member and read the same passages separately. It gives you someone to talk to about the topics your reading and makes it more enjoyable instead of just a task you know you should do.

2. Make a set time everyday.

Life can becoming super busy and chaotic and it can feel like there is just no time to sit down and have time with the Lord and your Bible. However, there is always time even though there seems like there is none. That might mean getting up 30 minutes earlier in the morning before school or work or even cutting out some of your much needed Netflix time. Even setting up a time during breaks between classes is not a bad idea. For me, mornings seem to be best because I feel like i get to start my day off right, and it is quiet and calm.

3. Keep the right perspective.

Remember what your purpose for reading is. Do not do it just to check something off your list or to feel better about your self. Reading the Bible can give you understanding, knowledge, and guidance towards the path God wants you to go.

4. Start a reading plan.

The times that I was most committed to the word and was actually reading everyday like I wanted to was when I was doing a Bible plan. I have the Bible app on my phone and it gives me different bible plans and devotionals I can do. It helps me because I feel like I have a certain goal I can reach, and I am not just reading aimlessly. https://www.desiringgod.org is also a great place to find devotionals or biblical topics.

5. Pray.

Pray to God and ask him to help you stay committed with it. It's extremely tough. Ask him to guide you in a devotional or book in the Bible. If we are just reading haphazardly and not reading to grow closer to Jesus or for guidance through our lives then it is all a waste of time.

6. Don't worry about reading a certain amount.

It's not about the amount you read, but that you are actually doing it and intimately engaging in the word of God.