To The Person Who Commented On My Last Article

To The Person Who Made A Negative Comment On My Recent Article, You Proved My Point

What someone who read my last article taught me

18

Yes, I saw what you said, and yes it did hurt, but you helped prove my point and made me realize a couple of things about humanity; so thank you.

In my previous article, I wrote about the use of the word "retard" and other slurs towards people with disabilities. You commented back and wrote "I don't use slurs against the disabled, I use slurs against the able who ACT disabled (laughing emoji.)" I, along with others, did not find your comment that amusing, and nor did I find it true.

Meghan Craig

So, what I'm guessing is you did not read my article, but merely just glanced at the title from a Facebook share.

You, just like others who continue to use such words out of spite, did not read about my forgiveness for your ignorance, claiming it was out of habit rather than acting malicious. So, now I say thank you for proving me wrong. Your comment was ill-natured and thought out. You knew not only what you were commenting, but how others would react. To make matters worse, you inserted a laughing emoji as if it would lighten the mood. Like I said in the past, this is 2019 and your mindlessness is not funny. You have taken advantage of your ability to do so and have now taught me that sometimes people are too ignorant to even realize what is right in front of their eyes.

You wrote that you don't make fun of this who are disabled, yet you still say that you will make fun of those who are not and pretend to be.

In that case, are you just feeding into the slurs and agreeing with them? Or, are you calling the acts of others stupid? If you are calling those other acts stupid, then you clearly do not understand what the word "disabled" means. Disabled does not mean stupid. It does not mean that you make poor decisions or that you do things out of lack of intelligence. It does not mean that you are a foolish imbecile.

My entire life I was told to stand up to people like you, but that is not why I originally wrote my previous article. It was to spread awareness that what was being said was actually hurting people, but today, my article is to stand up to you. It is to tell you that you are ignorant and that even though they are only just words, they still hurt people.