How To Combat The Winter Blues

How To Combat The Winter Blues

A few things you can do to keep you happy during the cold, short days.

22
How To Combat The Winter Blues
flicker.com

It's that time of year again, when the days become shorter as the nights grow longer. The warm, summer air that filled my lungs only a few weeks ago has now turned cool and crisp.

Autumn is here inspiring a mixture of excitement for the holidays to come, as well as a longing for summer's warm embrace. For those of us southerners not yet accustomed to the temperamental New England weather, the autumnal transition to an even colder season - the dreaded winter - may not be the most welcome of changes. With this in mind, here are a few things to look forward to in the coming months:

1. Hot Cocoa

And for those who don't like it, this sweet chocolatey treat can easily be substituted with another warm beverage: Tea! There are few things that make me happier than the thought of escaping the brisk winter wind with a cup of hot chocolate.

2. Fire Places

The sound of crackling flames, the faint smell of charred wood and the warmth of a burning fire. I cannot wait to be mesmerized by the dancing flames as I sit in front of a fireplace, draped in a blanket, and cupping a hot mug of something delicious.

3. Snow

The miserable, cold winter temperature is only redeemed by the frozen flakes it precipitates. Snow is the best part of winter. It gently falls from the sky and melts in your exposed palm. It is so calming to wake up and look outside a window at the vast, white blanket of untouched snow.

4. Snowball Fights

The lure of enveloping yourself in a cocoon of heavy blankets and watching Netflix all weekend will be a temptation difficult to withstand. Winter is the time of year I just want to barricade myself indoors, where the heat is turned up to its max, but in doing this I know I will miss out on some of the most enjoyable activities the cold weather provides. So, I drag myself out of bed, put on layers upon layers of clothing, and join the winning team of the snowball war outside. My reward: Entering the house a few hours later, rosy-cheeked, soaking wet and smiling from ear to ear.

How can we combat the winter blues? Don't be discouraged by the cold, gray weather, or by the loss of a few hours of sunlight. Instead go out, enjoy the snow and make sure you have some hot cocoa and a good fire to keep you warm and happy when you get back.